Eq and layer processed samples

Discussion in 'Production' started by kieran t, Jun 23, 2014.

1. kieran t

kieran t Member

I've started a new project
    I've found a kick
    Now looking for a low end snare
    but every time I find the sound I want I've noticed that when looking on the frequency analyser the snares are hitting like +20 db difference in loudness (higher ) from the kick even when they both say 5.1 on the volume sliders. The snare really peaks higher and sticks out by far.
    Why is this ? Is it the way it was recorded? Processed?
    How to I get the kick and snare at a similar volume s?
    Also why when you do subtractive eq sometimes the volume increases rapidly ? Is that pre processing to much now I can't touch it?
    Thanks

By thee way the snares are vengeance packs I have a few other samples but only use vengeance mainly I need to buy much more samples

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  2. Gloxxy

Gloxxy I SNORT COAL

You'll find that all of the Vengeance snares are processed to buggery. Loads of EQ and FX applied. There are no 'dry' samples at all.

I think you'll find that the volume of the snare will usually peak higher than a kick drum in your standard 2 step DnB drum pattern.

Dark Lizardro likes this.
  3. Dark Lizardro

Dark Lizardro The Lizard that has a hammer Staff Member

There's a pack called "Xfer" that comes with some unprocessed snares though. But they sound shite too.

4. Mania

Mania i fukin wot m8

You'll either need to turn the fader down on the snares, process the kicks louder, or use snares that match the loudness of the kick - which is what i would do.