Enhancing Vocals?

Mr Fletch

aka KRONIX
VIP Junglist
I'm curious as to how to go about enhancing speech vocals.

Like, I hear some tracks that have speech vox in them, and the vox sound so powerful. I've tried having the vox doubled, and one pitched down etc etc, but to no avail!

I dont really know how to describe it, I guess I'll have to go and find some examples.....

But while I'm on the search, if any of you actually have a clue what I'm rambling about, and have some tips, or just ideas, throw them this way! ;)

EDIT; Ok here we go. I know most of you have seen this bass resampling vid, but it has the kind of effect I'm after. Right at the start, where it says "Subscribe now". That deep, powerful effect vocal

Last edited by a moderator:
chorus, subtle delay, pitch it down a bit eventually for more low end, try panning a copy left, one right and one keeps playing in the centre (obviously no chorus then), apply reverb with strong daming settings and short decay, compress, distort, eq etc... ;)

maybe that gives you some ideas, but really its just the most obvious.

can't polish a shit mate, need it good from the start.

unless when you say speech vox do you mean like microsoft sam or?

can't polish a shit mate, need it good from the start.

unless when you say speech vox do you mean like microsoft sam or?

No mate. Just regular vocals, like from a documentary or something.

I understand it needs to be of good quality anyway, before you start fuckin wiv it.

ah ok, i get you.

from that video id say resampling has a part to play in it. things like pitch shift are gonna make the sound a little edgy, unless you have some real decent kit, that might not be true but when ever i pitch shift something it never sounds quite right.

i'd say its as simple as just resampling. maybe wrong. bit of light distortion to bulk it up then eq to finish it off? maybe?

---------- Post added at 19:19 ---------- Previous post was at 19:17 ----------

i think theres probably multiple instances of the same vocal in there two. each with different tonal qualitys.

i'll give it a go now

---------- Post added at 19:47 ---------- Previous post was at 19:28 ----------

Ok i've given it ago. in the sample it has the original then the processed, if it sounds anything like what your imagining then let me know and ill run through how i did it. excuse the hiss, bit of a crap recording.

http://www.mediafire.com/?h1vjkseqqknknsz

Completely off topic now, but has anyone seen that new plug that izotope are releasing called "izotope T-pain"? Its basically a vocoder that gives the T-Pain effect.....sellouts lol!

Yeahh kinda wack, but they do make some great plugins at iZotope, take Ozone for instance, great ways to enhance your vocals with that! Also I love to make a duplicate of my vocal track, take out some words so you sort of create backing vocals. Then I would pan it hard left and right with the "clean" signal still in the middle and add Fabfilter Timeless to the panned backings.. Fabfilter Timeless has some great options for using stereo delays and other effects and can really widen up your sounds if used right!

Also to make a little bit more darkish vocals, just duplicate the vocal and add a "TobyBear Madshifta", which is a great little pitch shifting VST, and pitch it down 12 semitones, now layer it with the original, play with the volume a bit and of you go.. Madshifta on it's own should sounds like a very evil voice the lower the pitch you make!

Also to make a little bit more darkish vocals, just duplicate the vocal and add a "TobyBear Madshifta", which is a great little pitch shifting VST, and pitch it down 12 semitones, now layer it with the original, play with the volume a bit and of you go.. Madshifta on it's own should sounds like a very evil voice the lower the pitch you make!

I'd recommend doing it with an aux send instead of duplicating the track. You can use the same fx on multiple sounds that way and save CPU.
Although if you wan't to automate certain parameters duplicating the track would be ideal.
Or you could change the aux send into read mode.

Back
Top Bottom