Energetic Drops Help!

saam

VIP Junglist
I am a beginner and currently just playing around with an Ableton trial, struggling to learn how to create more energy with drums on the drop. Anybody got any tips for me I'd love to know the secret!

I am a beginner and currently just playing around with an Ableton trial, struggling to learn how to create more energy with drums on the drop. Anybody got any tips for me I'd love to know the secret!

I'm no pro but here's a few things I learnt which really helped.

Use compression where needed

use parallel compression (glue compressor)

side chaining can be good to create more movement and dynamics

Layer up different loops like hi hats, percussion and shakers.

and make sure to utilize stereo sound.

I'm no pro but here's a few things I learnt which really helped.

Use compression where needed

use parallel compression (glue compressor)

side chaining can be good to create more movement and dynamics

Layer up different loops like hi hats, percussion and shakers.

and make sure to utilize stereo sound.
Thanks mate I appreciate any little tips! I suppose a lot of energy doesn't just come from drums in some cases

Yeh, there's also lots of plugins which professional producers use to spruce up the sound like external compressors and stereo imagers

some of my favorites are satson channel, waves doubler, and camelphat.

it's nice to have some sort of long decay ambient reverb sounds in the background to fill the empty space, but it all depends on what you're going for.

Use FX sounds like down lifters and white noise to get a good impact for the drop. Layer breaks/hats/percs on top and also work with reverb. You can experiment when it comes to make the breaks interesting, i like to frequency split them and put different distortion or fx stuff on the high frequencies.

Also make sure that your kick & snare work well together :)

Energetic drops imo rely heavily on their rhythmic structure instead of melodic structure, usually melodies are more simple to enforce the energy of the track (however there are always exclusions). Getting a high impact energetic track going is mostly just getting that rhythm down and from there you build upon that by adding more sounds. So when I produce a high energy track I start thinking in a high energy way right from the start, try to come up with melodies that are energetic and uplifting. Usually repeated notes can give a melody more pace, so short notes usually work better than longer notes for a high energy track. These are just some small examples of how I approach this...

If you are up for a long watch to clarify in detail how I make my tracks then I advise you to follow along with the Neurofunk tutorial series I'm doing, the post is in the production forum at the moment and will be updated weekly until the track I'm working on is finished. I say this because the track in the video series will become a high energy track! If you have any more questions just fire away!

the best tip i got to help me in this case was take the "low end" elements out before the drop hits. that makes it more impactful.The rest probably comes from the levels of your instruments and the rhythm of you track. Try taking synths/basses out gradually before you bring the drop in. also don't risers/downlifters help and you can go crazy while making them, add crazy effects, gating, etc :p

[MENTION=42732]ARTFX[/MENTION] I am following the videos actually I look forward to watching this week's! Thanks fella.

Adding on to what other people are saying in this thread, here are some tips I've discovered to work well over the years:

Try to have the overall loudness of the drop be about 4 dB higher than the build.
White noise w/ a phaser and a highpass filter makes for a great swell and gives you a ton of flexibility.
SUB BASS IS VERY IMPORTANT! Try to have the sub drop loud and hard in the 60 - 100 Hz range. I would recommend using a filtered triangle wave for the sub.
Insert a rhythmic change like a fill or a moment of silence immediately before the drop to add impact.

Back
Top Bottom