Encoding Tape to PC...

Discussion in 'Drum & Bass' started by beach!, Sep 14, 2007.

1. beach!

beach! The Unclean - Pro Leecher

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Hello!.. I have loads of oldskool tapes but I dont know how to encode them to my PC...

Would someone care to show me how please?...

Also, if you have any links to any freeware editing programs - slap dem on this thread!...

Last edited: Sep 14, 2007
  2. SWOOF

SWOOF I've been naughty, I'm banned

sum 1 please explain to this geeza how 2 do it...we need more old stuff converted from tape..hope ya get it sortd soon bro..safe

3. Thrawn 6.7

Thrawn 6.7 Member

Ok, here's the short version -

You need one of these cables -

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=31700&source=2001&doy=14m9

Plug the stereo ends into the line out of your tape player/amplifier and the single end into the line in on your PC's soundcard.

Use a program like Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/) to record the audio input. You will need to fiddle with your recording levels so it doesn't distort. Cut it as desired, use fadeouts/ins for CD length mixes, etc then save it as mp3 or your chosen format.

4. SWOOF

SWOOF I've been naughty, I'm banned

nuff respect thrawn

5. Swan'e Style

Swan'e Style Hollyoaks Bizness

Alright I'll ave a go, as I did record some tapes today actually.

what I did was download a program called audicty (google it and your see it ) , its basically a program that lets u rip all sorts of shit even vinyl aswell. I use audicty for tune I'Ds its a good bit of kit cuz you can play like 10 or 15 secs of a tape record it and upload for ppl to ID , but anyway to record tape's to your PC

#1 you'll need a stereo/tape deck, make sure it has the two L and R speaker sockets on the back

#2 get on the maplins website or pop down to your local branch and pick up a '' stereo 3.5 mm jack to twin phono lead '' thats what it says on the packet. Its just two sockets red and white attached to a smaller socket which is the one you plug in the back of your PC/soundcard its highlighted in blue on the back of your PC

#3 ok so you got the lead , plug the white and red phono jacks into the speaker sockets on your tape deck/stereo ( at the back ) and the other end goes into your soundcard ( blue section )

#4 To record press the red button on the audicty programme at the top in the bar menu , press play on your tape deck and your away. there's also loads of amp settings you can mess around with on the programme to get a good sound aswell , make sure the sound on your tape deck is a bout halfway or a bit lower

ok the bad news , you can record tapes, vinyl etc , its a good sound cuz I done it earlier works really well , But you cant hear while its recording , you can only listen to it when its finished thats the drawback.you can see the sound waves move up and down so you know its working but you can stop it anytime to listen and check it,

Hope this makes sense if it doesn't , then **** you , but either way google tape to PC etc thats how I figured it out

THE END , :banana:

OMG thrawn , I write all this shit took me like 10 mins or so . lol , and u beat me to it

Last edited: Sep 14, 2007
  6. SIRUS

SIRUS 変なひと

Download a snide copy of Cool Edit Pro, then record the tapes through that to MP3...

simple.

7. beach!

beach! The Unclean - Pro Leecher

Thanks a lot for the advice... I will get a cable as soon as!... Watch this space!...