EMU E5000 q.

Rajstah Vibe

soundcloud.com/rajstah
VIP Junglist
Christmas present to myself, an Emu E5000 third hand.
Working almost perfectly.
I just had to spend couple of days to find the right link where to download the EOS upgrade, from 4.01 to 4.7 and the right way to install it...
Now I see what a powerful dedicated sampler from 15 years ago surclass the modern sw sampler, bit I also see tons of limitations... As a user of the ableton sampler, I don't see any advantage from the z-plane filters since ableton's ones have the morph filters. Yes, EMU is capable of sample one note and sounds great for the range of almost 8 octaves with just one resample without that crap horrible harsh aliasing... But the rest of editing is really out of date....
Ok.
Some of you, who raccomend EMU, please post some great advice on how to get the most of it...
Cause as a 2014 ableton user, I'm quite surprised how surclassed EMU it is...
Sorry...

Christmas present to myself, an Emu E5000 third hand.
Working almost perfectly.
I just had to spend couple of days to find the right link where to download the EOS upgrade, from 4.01 to 4.7 and the right way to install it...
Now I see what a powerful dedicated sampler from 15 years ago surclass the modern sw sampler, bit I also see tons of limitations... As a user of the ableton sampler, I don't see any advantage from the z-plane filters since ableton's ones have the morph filters. Yes, EMU is capable of sample one note and sounds great for the range of almost 8 octaves with just one resample without that crap horrible harsh aliasing... But the rest of editing is really out of date....
Ok.
Some of you, who raccomend EMU, please post some great advice on how to get the most of it...
Cause as a 2014 ableton user, I'm quite surprised how surclassed EMU it is...
Sorry...

Try turning up the gain on the sampler to clip the sound you're recording into it...

Play with the effects. its got quite nice delays, reverbs, chorus'

They are a bitch to work with, but I think its nice to take sounds out of the computer...

right, so, ableton morph filter is not only the same, technically, but quite altogether better than the emu z-planes? not sure if trolling, wont reply unless proven sincere

Yo, not worries, I have not time to waste on trolling...
I admit that my statement has that kind of attitude thoug.
But it was actually done in porpous to spark a challenge on you guys, experts on EMU.
I almost lost my hope that you were going to spare your penny on some advice Logik, as probably you are the most pro-emu more than anyone in this forum.

So, to start, I had few chances to sit down face to face with the e5000 and have done some trials, also following the prcious advice on overdrive/clip the input.
I have been creating simple distorted bass note sampled and duplicate with different filters and effect, including a layer mono with LP filt. for sub.
In the other layers I just fucked around with band pass, high pass and the morph eq, including that kind of Notch filt. called inverse eq or something like that.
I recognise that it can achieve some powerful and steady bunch of rock solid timbre.
Something which in ableton will probably not come out, for sure.
It just sounds sweet in anything I put into.

So I'm slowly discovering the features and far far from be able to manage the patch and the samples or take the most out of the best routines and editings.

I know that only with trials and errors I can learn and achieve, but as a good start, it will be great if you can give some hot top tips.
My idea is to work mainly with bass and basslines or reces, even thoug I'm aware there's not limits on the type of sounds that can be processed.

mmmmm yeah hard to say really, but try the last LFO shape, the hemi quaver, make your z-plane lowpassy and apply it to a pad loop you sampled with an extended major chord. and voila, you discovered the button that makes techno, for example. you drop that on 140 bpm and then create a drum kit with layers and layers of filtersweeps notches and volume envs, go 4/4 and you will be the new general motors of detroit basically, layering is such a very beautiful thing the emu does, the voices thing, multiple instances of the same sound, triggered at the same time, but with different characteristics, i know it sounds basic, but its really awesome

Back
Top Bottom