Emperor - Begin EP

Such a weak EP for critical. Only good tune is She Said, the rest of the tunes don't sound like they should be on critical at all. So repetitive, barely any variations after 16bars. Not really impressed with the Stray - Modulations release either....bring back the old critical kasra. Dispatch is starting to be the only 'big' label that has guaranteed tune after tune on every release

kasra is possibly already moaning about this forum on facebook haha,

I like the ep, only tune i don't like is radar, funny how as soon as one person starts complaining everyone that doesn't like it comes out

Such a weak EP for critical. Only good tune is She Said, the rest of the tunes don't sound like they should be on critical at all. So repetitive, barely any variations after 16bars. Not really impressed with the Stray - Modulations release either....bring back the old critical kasra. Dispatch is starting to be the only 'big' label that has guaranteed tune after tune on every release

Totally agree!!

I wasnt actually referring to this thread but to a bunch of threads on another forum but anyway.

Ironically this is the fastest selling vinyl we have put out for around 9 months

And unfortunately seeing as so many people dont like the release theres very little chance of us pressing up a limited edition plate of the digital tracks

If I tried to please all the people all the time, we wouldnt release anything

Agree with the fact that Dispatch is taking over, but it's not the only label killing it right now... New RAM double sider is wicked, pretty much every release by Dust Audio is awesome, Subtitles and some more I don't remember atm

I love this Emperor Ep. Yeah, maybe a little repetitive, but I still like it. All of the tunes actually.

How can 'you' say they sound like they shouldn't be on Critical its up to the owner of the label and IMO Begin and Precursor are wicked tracks. The others are ok but not weak.

I wasnt actually referring to this thread but to a bunch of threads on another forum but anyway.

Ironically this is the fastest selling vinyl we have put out for around 9 months

And unfortunately seeing as so many people dont like the release theres very little chance of us pressing up a limited edition plate of the digital tracks

My words weren't aimed against Critical nor this release in particular, it's just my view on deep orientated dnb at the moment. This aside, I do think many people would buy a limited edition plate of 2 of those digital only tracks but it's not up to my opinion now, is it? :)

Jamie in banquet records recommended this to me and I really fucking liked it. First time I've bought vinyl in months. Actually put a smile on my face when I heard it. Big release.

Have not got around to buying this yet, I do like the tunes but I am not all over this release. Don't get the hate for Radar though, personally I really like that one, yeah it is repetitive, but I like it.

interesting - I couldn't find another forum with negative comments (nothing worse than on here anyways)....not really sure why some people aren't keen on this, like some others its only Radar that's not really doing it for me - and aside from the fact it meant that Solar is digi-only the 12" is mean, especially Begin, and I will be thrashing it. Sure, some of it isn't 'Critical-style', but what the fuck has that got to do with anything? Kasra doesn't have to only release tunes that have the same style as the majority of the releases before it (the same for other labels) - that's how we see progression and the music constantly evolve.

And I'm sure a limited run of the 2nd part of the EP would work - white label, hand stamped to keep production costs down would be fine...simple :)

I know it's not 'hate' but I don't get all the 'dislike' for this release. I think it's rock solid and shows a bit of variation I haven't heard from Emperor yet.

When I first heard 'She Said' and a few other tunes off the EP, they really had some wow-factor... and from looking at the first few pages of this thread, I believe a lot of people would have agreed. It's like everyone here has ADD or something because suddenly everyone seems bored of the EP and it only just came out!

I know it's not 'hate' but I don't get all the 'dislike' for this release. I think it's rock solid and shows a bit of variation I haven't heard from Emperor yet.

When I first heard 'She Said' and a few other tunes off the EP, they really had some wow-factor... and from looking at the first few pages of this thread, I believe a lot of people would have agreed. It's like everyone here has ADD or something because suddenly everyone seems bored of the EP and it only just came out!

The only variation I can hear is She Said, which did take me by surprise and is a genuinely great tune. Refreshing to hear. The rest of the EP, to me, sounds like it could have been made by any one of around 10 - 20 producers currently getting bigged up in dnb.

The other threads weren't referring to this EP but DNB in general
You don't all have to jump to its defence, everyone entitled to their opinion

To those who like it, that's great

To those who don't, we have alot of amazing music coming - maybe you'll like some of that more

As always thanks for the support!

The other threads weren't referring to this EP but DNB in general
You don't all have to jump to its defence, everyone entitled to their opinion

To those who like it, that's great

To those who don't, we have alot of amazing music coming - maybe you'll like some of that more

As always thanks for the support!

i mean yea. this is the kind of a attitude i like from people. "if you llike it, that's great, if you don't, then that's okay too". this shows that you're confident and you know what you're doing. some people just can't take a little banter and immediately flip out and start defending themselves and tell everyone to stick their (negative) opinions up their asses. it just shows that they're doubtful and insecure in themselves like mistabishi. fun to watch them flipping out tho.

....they're just opinions and i don't think they actually reflect how good or bad this ep is.

Overall I'd just like to say thanks a lot for the support thus far; The EP has sold extremely quickly, and the response so far has been amazingly positive, so I thank you for that.

I appreciate feedback from everywhere, from all kinds of opinions and people. Music is subjective, I get that.

I think for me the point was to make something that had a different vibe, but not something I'd already done before like Smokescreen or Monolith. Something a bit different, but still sound like me. I'm not a fan of reusing the same sounds over and over, which is what a lot of DNB producers seem to do nowadays... which is why i find it hypocritical for some users of this forum to really love certain producers when they just use the same ideas over and over, then go and say something else sounds all-the-same or whatever. Reading through the thread, I've see people take their own different favourites off of the EP, which i think is is great really. I think that shows that the EP is a bit varied, and not just two-step same-sample non-descript rollers...

I couldn't be happier with the EP, and I'm really pleased that people have been discussing it as well; its great to see people with different opinions, that's what makes me want to carry on producing. Like Kasra said, you can't please everyone, but theres so much more Critical stuff that will smash it, new Enei, Foreign Concept, Ivy Lab... the list goes on. Someone said earlier that this shouldn't have been on Critical, which I think is really stupid. I don't think a label should be defined by a sound, but by the quality of music it releases, and that includes keeping it varied.

So basically, big ups to everyone supporting it, and if you don't like it, I'm not the only producer on Critical!

Peas

Drum & Bass is going down the shitter, the underground market is saturated with the same techy rollers. Credit to Emperor and Mefjus for pioneering their own sound, but the problem lies within the leagues of devoted fans that have no originality and who instead choose to curl out some steaming pile of shit that is a poor attempt at a Mefjus tune.

Shogun are head and shoulders above every label in the scene because they are making poppy 170/85 bpm tunes with originality and flair. Apart from the fucking prototypes who shit out the worst chase & status/loadstar clones I've ever heard. They pander to the 16 year old cunts who've yet to evolve ears, whilst the rest of the shogun roster actually make artful tunes. The new Perez album is superb, the bit with Two Inch Punch & Burn Out are exceptional.

D&B just isn't a particularly musical genre, and the underground has become boring. One can only take so many years of hearing the same tunes recycled ad infinitum.

Pick that apart if you want, fuckers

- - - Updated - - -

But just to add, Kasra is fucking top guy and he deserves to succeed. His A&R is superb and he genuinely seems devoted to the music. Critical is one of the best labels out there, and deserves more recognition within the underground dance scene as a whole

Drum & Bass is going down the shitter, the underground market is saturated with the same techy rollers. Credit to Emperor and Mefjus for pioneering their own sound, but the problem lies within the leagues of devoted fans that have no originality and who instead choose to curl out some steaming pile of shit that is a poor attempt at a Mefjus tune.

Shogun are head and shoulders above every label in the scene because they are making poppy 170/85 bpm tunes with originality and flair. Apart from the fucking prototypes who shit out the worst chase & status/loadstar clones I've ever heard. They pander to the 16 year old cunts who've yet to evolve ears, whilst the rest of the shogun roster actually make artful tunes. The new Perez album is superb, the bit with Two Inch Punch & Burn Out are exceptional.

D&B just isn't a particularly musical genre, and the underground has become boring. One can only take so many years of hearing the same tunes recycled ad infinitum.

Pick that apart if you want, fuckers

- - - Updated - - -

But just to add, Kasra is fucking top guy and he deserves to succeed. His A&R is superb and he genuinely seems devoted to the music. Critical is one of the best labels out there, and deserves more recognition within the underground dance scene as a whole

Faannnbbwooyyyy!!!

Back
Top Bottom