Embarrassing/Bizarre moments when playing out

House party, a proper mangled friend of a friend asks if I have Fresh's All That Jazz. Only have the instrumental, so I play it. He proceeds to sing the lyrics in my face. 5 minutes later he comes back and asks for it again. he keeps asking. In the end I just let him on the decks. He plays All That Jazz for the next twenty minutes. He is dragged from the decks and dumped in the kitchen. Hour later he is back at the decks doing it again.

DROP DROP DROP, DROP DROP ANOTHER ONE.

I don't DJ, so don't have any from myself. I have seen my friend drop this in his mixes a few times though...

[video=youtube_share;QH2-TGUlwu4]http://youtu.be/QH2-TGUlwu4[/video]

It always goes off in the dance! :catdrugs:

Last edited:
I don't DJ, so don't have any from myself. I have seen my friend drop this in his mixes a few times though...

Instant rewind! :teeth:

I'd like to say I'd tell the DJ to fucking do one if this got dropped at a club but I know I'd probably be all fucked up and scream "THIS IS MUY JAAYYYUUMM" and then brock the fuck out harder than John B at a hair dressing convention.

was on radio for our local pirate once, on the mic doing shout outs and I decided to say what the tune my mate was playing was.

' this one is called Therapy by Original Chin'

yeah I said Original Chin by accident.

BRROOOL

No real terror stories - but had a couple of times where the needle has collected too much dust...skip!

Turning into a brool story thread without question

808 you don't DJ? Fair play to you for being on top of every bloody release in that case (and in general) sir.

I once remember being that drunk that when hot cueing on serato i was accidently hot cueing the wrong track so was basically just slamming a cue button halfway through a tune without realising.

That was particularly smooth

I was playing a show with Sigma in Glasgow and I have a launchpad in my setup, it was dark, I was half cut and I was shitting it. So I go to navigate my way to the volume control which, for which you'd press the mixer button then volume button, but I forgot about the mixer button and tried to go straight for the volume tab, which, if anyone reading owns a launchpad, knows that that will trigger all the clips in that section. So not only did it cut out half way through a drop, it also started playing like 6 different things at once. Thankfully I was opening and it was only the second song in so it was only a few of my pals that had turned up that early..

went to my mates birthday party a couple months back... house full of DnB heads, Adam A7X's and CDJ1000's in them lounge.

I'd never used pioneer CDJ's before at this point, but i didn't think cueing up a tune and jogging it until it's matched would be any different to on my numarks. oh boy... what a flop. Most of the guys there i'd never met before.. and me being the belligerent fuck that i am when i get pissed was giving it the big'n like i'm some kind of god behind the decks.... so i swagger up, pick my CD's, load them in, and then have to be told by matey how to skip through the disc. End up playing the same tune twice, made a complete hash of my matching and then walked off and blamed it on the beer.

what the fuck are you even doing? cueing up on a pioneer is like drinking milk, you cant do it wrong.

learned on numarks myself. first time i went on pioneers i slapped a cd in and mixed WAAAY better than i could on a numark even when completely sober and alone.. mind you this was at my citys well attended weekly at main time.

i cant even understand how you could fuck that up, lol.

edit: actually im quite man that you would even want to call yourself a dj, or anything of the sorts. or try to play tunes in front of people you dont know. i mean, slap any tune on, put another tune on the other deck, match THE FUCKING SHOWN BPM and then press play. HOW the fucking fuck can you fuck that up? even when you cant press play at the right time, those pitchers are actually movable!

Last edited:
a woman asking me to 'turn the music down - we're trying to have a quiet drink'

it was new years eve :confused:

what the fuck are you even doing? cueing up on a pioneer is like drinking milk, you cant do it wrong.

learned on numarks myself. first time i went on pioneers i slapped a cd in and mixed WAAAY better than i could on a numark even when completely sober and alone.. mind you this was at my citys well attended weekly at main time.

edit: actually im quite man that you would even want to call yourself a dj, or anything of the sorts. or try to play tunes in front of people you dont know. i mean, slap any tune on, put another tune on the other deck, match THE FUCKING SHOWN BPM and then press play. HOW the fucking fuck can you fuck that up? even when you cant press play at the right time, those pitchers are actually movable!

This whole reply made me laugh for some reason

lol, so mad.

the layout was alien to me... the jog wheels were way more sensitive than i was used to and i was REALLY quite drunk.

went to the studios a week later, picked it up in 5 minutes and turned into andy c... so suck it m8.

This whole reply made me laugh for some reason

was kinda intended ;)

lol, so mad.

the layout was alien to me... the jog wheels were way more sensitive than i was used to and i was REALLY quite drunk.

went to the studios a week later, picked it up in 5 minutes and turned into andy c... so suck it m8.

you dont wanna see me mad! was half joking half really just wondering how you could fuck that up. on top i just came in from night shift and was a bit grumpy anyways.

hope you didnt take it personally. if it was the beers, ill give you that. my standard excuse for fuck ups aswell :teeth:

lol, so mad.

Something similar happen to me back in 2006ish. The year prior I had bought NuMark turntables and practice my fucking heart to learn how to spin. When I became comfortable enough to play in front of people I excepted my first "gig." When I arrived I was full of myself until I noticed the Thecnique turntables. The torque, the feel, and the pitch shifter were all completely different and I proceeded to have fake mix after fake mix. Needless to say I was embarrassed. A couple of days later I traded my Numarks for a pair of ancient techniques.
Best trade I ever made.
Any way what the hell is the industry standard for djing these days? I imagine pioneer cdjs and software that pre-mixes for you.

Accidentally pressing the play/cue button on the cdj playing the tune was pretty embarressing, especially as i had drunkenly blagged by way back on the decks

Back
Top Bottom