EDM / Drum & Bass ?

Dagz

WE ARE THE MASTERS
VIP Junglist
So im forever seeing drum & bass being put under the EDM category so my question is,

Is Drum & Bass, Electronic Dance Music (EDM)?

Technically yes of course but the reality is highly subjective.

For me, EDM is any heavily compressed synth led euphoric music, be it D&B, dubstep, house, drumstep or whatever aimed at the US market (I think that's where the term EDM comes from..) with a commercial purpose in mind, whereas most D&B doesn't fall into this category.

I'd say some artists do crossover - probably for commercial reasons - but best not to pigeonhole anyone just because they might have made an EDM track at some point in the past..

Yeh I would say EDM is a style of music regardless of tempo. That's sort of how I view techno - it's a style of music that isn't bound by bpm. I would say a lot of the Samurai Horo, Ruffhouse, Clarity etc. stuff is techno as well as being Drum & Bass.

Ok

I just feel like they put the EDM tag an all sorts of music they choose really. Im not able to recognise whats EDM and whats not at the moment.

I was quite happy to ignore the term EDM but its popping up everywhere you just cant ignore it now. Id just like to understand it though

wouldnt worry too much about it imo. Anyone who says EDM to describe what kind of music theyre into is automatically a cretin . Its as bad a term as 'intelligent drum n bass' was.

Technically yes of course but the reality is highly subjective.

For me, EDM is any heavily compressed synth led euphoric music, be it D&B, dubstep, house, drumstep or whatever aimed at the US market (I think that's where the term EDM comes from..) with a commercial purpose in mind, whereas most D&B doesn't fall into this category.

I'd say some artists do crossover - probably for commercial reasons - but best not to pigeonhole anyone just because they might have made an EDM track at some point in the past..
This

Before this term was able to reach the masses, it was used as a summary word for all electronic music genres.

I even counted genres like IDM or the old Glitch Hop (edIT, Flashbulb) to this category, because EDM didn't stand for anything bad.

Meanwhile a majority if people understand EDM as big room or in general heavy compressed synth bullshit (as someone above already mentioned). I clearly saw that the term is completely misunderstood as i saw local 'EDM - Partys' around here. What should a special 1 hour EDM set supposed to be? A mix of 50 different sub genres?

Conclusion is, that i completely stopped using the term EDM, because there are no reasons to do so. I produce Drum&bass, that's pretty much all that counts for me

I think EDM is two things.

The first meaning of EDM is a category for almost every electronic produced music. May it be House, Drum and Bass or something else.

The second meaning of EDM is actually a music genre. The music Martin Garrix etc.. make. It is also known as Big Room House.

But I'm not sure about it.

img-armoury-big-room.jpg

Big room

Back
Top Bottom