Ecstasy 'not worse than riding'

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by BeyondTherapy, Feb 8, 2009.

1. BeyondTherapy

BeyondTherapy Well-Known Member

Ecstasy 'not worse than riding'

[​IMG]

Taking the drug ecstasy is no more dangerous than riding a horse, a senior advisor has suggested.

Professor David Nutt, chairman of the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs (ACMD), outlined his view in the Journal of Psychopharmacology.

The council, which advises the government, is expected next week to recommend that ecstasy is downgraded from a class A drug to a class B one.

Ministers have outlined their opposition to any such move.

Professor Nutt wrote: "Drug harm can be equal to harms in other parts of life. There is not much difference between horse-riding and ecstasy."

Organ failure

The professor said horse-riding accounted for more than 100 deaths a year, and went on: "This attitude raises the critical question of why society tolerates - indeed encourages - certain forms of potentially harmful behaviour but not others such as drug use."

Ecstasy use is linked to around 30 deaths a year, up from 10 a year in the early 1990s. Fatalities are caused by massive organ failure from overheating or the effects of drinking too much water.

The ACMD last night distanced itself from Prof Nutt's comments.

A spokesman for the body said: "The recent article by Professor David Nutt published in the Journal of Psychopharmacology was done in respect of his academic work and not as chair of the ACMD.

"Professor Nutt's academic work does not prejudice that which he conducts as chair of the ACMD."

'No safe dose'

David Raynes, of the National Drug Prevention Alliance, told the Daily Telegraph: "He is entitled to his personal opinion, but if his personal view conflicts so very strongly with his public duties, it would be honourable to consider his position.

"If he does not, the home secretary should do it for him."

Last September a Home Office spokesman said the government believed ecstasy should remain a Class A drug.

"Ecstasy can and does kill unpredictably. There is no such thing as a 'safe dose'," he said.

source

2. SIRUS

SIRUS 変なひと

Ecstasy 'not worse than midget boxing'

[​IMG]

3. SLow

SLow Quadrospazzed life-glug

I agree with the man, pills just aint strong enough to be Class A any more.

K on the other hand...

4. mansell

mansell husk basically*

I don't agree with it... there is no comparision between the two.
    People that fall off and kill themselves is due to not understanding their horse's, lack of judgement or just not being able to ride.
    There is no comparison between the two, I horse ride and I have been able to ride before I could walk, also have used e pleanty enough times to know what that shits all about.
    As Sam said their not strong enough anymore, which kind of goes to show all the other shit thats in them.
    Compare it to something else... riding isn't a fucking drug.

5. danfreeman1

danfreeman1 Active Member

i read this yesterday, found it qute funny.

although pills arent pure anymore you still get a lot of speed and traces of smack in them, so can hardly be called less dangerous.

it may not kill you instantly, but still does more damaging effects on the brani ect.

that said im not going to stop taking drugs.

aparently the guy who did that research that is getting the sack as well

6. Olllie

Olllie Bom Bom Cloud

Such an irrelevant comparison! And I wonder if they included the deaths related to other drugs being passed off as ecstasy?

7. ac

ac I've been naughty, I'm banned

lol

8. djdozer

djdozer set 'im up...............

I dont think he was comparing them as an experience. He was comparing the danger, which there are plenty of similarities! It doesnt matter that riding isnt a drug. This doesnt mean its not dangerous!

The point is that ecstacy is illegal because it is potentialy dangerous, as is horseriding. But does this mean that horseriding should be made illegal? Of course it shouldnt because thats a choice that you have made with your free will! The same as the choice i make when i decide to swallow an E!

9. ashey

ashey I've been naughty, I'm banned

Proper E's = False Loved Up Bollocks Anyway (nxt day couldn't give a f**k bowt what said)
    need huge smoke 2 get rid Proper Comedown.

Bunk E's = Most of whats on sale 2day for a couple a £ at the school g8's or in local pub or whatever (containing 0% MDMA) Cut with Ephedrine, Smack, Asprin (4 the akrid taste)

Back in the day U only needed a couple if that (always 1 4 me) at a 10er a go, it's not suprising but, it was a genuine Headf**k (in a good way) (SCARY THOUGH 4 ME)
    Ive seen m8's take so many of these new Pukkas that they come up undigested in their vomit. B4 if they'd done that they'd B Gonners.
    Dunno where I've gone with this but, all I know is they aren't what they were man.

P.S - I aint juding any1 (only Skanky Drug Producers) either by way ok, EACH 2 HIS OWN.
    BIG UP WHATEVER YOUR PARTIAL 2 - Just gettin old I spose.

PPS. Soz 2 drivvel on but, sunday morning no weed, bored shitless. Ah well SPURS v ARSENAL (there's always beer) CHEERS ALL.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  10. djdozer

I feel for you man. Lol. I only started doin pills about 4 years ago and even since then the quality of them has dropped drasticaly! All about money tho i suppose! Its all about MDMA crystals now. Cant get purer than that! (although im sure this still isnt 100% pure)

11. ashey

Probably better than other nonsense no doubt. I tried that stuff ages ago but, wasn't sure how I should feel (off face though 4 sure) in comparison 2 E if U know what I mean. I read the book E 4 Ecstacy and apparently the drug was invented 2 help couples with Marriage Guidance Counselling (that figures)....No HorseShit.

Cheers Anyway

12. mansell

mansell husk basically*

If you read my post poperly you can see i'm not comparing the two at all from experience...
    Danger wise there is nothing in the same context at all that is remotely similar... you don't get killed by a horse by the same affects as an E or any other drug would have on you.
    You get killed by getting either crushed to death from a rotational fall (when horse ends up rotating ontop of rider), being kicked in the head, falling off from a horse spooking, cars driving to fast which again causes accidents (NOTE: Horse and rider have right of way on all roads :rolleyes:).
    I know the full effects of E... my point is you don't know what the fuck is in an E... it could be anything.

So if its experience or danger... they have nothing in comparision at all.

13. ashey

Horse Riding = Sport/Hobby
    Ecstacy = Drugs (Class A)
    The original point in the article was that less people die from TAKING ecstacy than people who Horseride.

So the idiot in the first place who made the comment in the MEDIA needs his head testing because, how does that make taking ECSTACY more SAFER. I suppose he didn't include BRAIN DAMAGE, KIDNEY + LIVER DAMAGE or Death from an accident because the person is so off their head they are incompetent.

CHEERS ALL (more ranting from moi)

14. djdozer

Yea i do see what your sayin. We cant control whats in the pills we take. But at the same time no matter how tame a horse is, you can never be 100% in control of it. They are after all wild animals which people have domesticated. But i do agree that there is probably a much better comparison than horse riding!

And kids, im not condoning the use of drugs. They are nasty, they mess with your head and they kill people. But fuck me arent they fun!

15. ashey

Not 100% powerless over Horse

But, soon as pills R in system, wot can U do if U feel all aint right (IN A BAD WAY)

16. Ch4ndler

Ch4ndler I've been naughty, I'm banned

They want to put ecstasy in the same class as weed? You wonder sometimes...

17. ArguS

ArguS Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

If you feel all ain't right you probably just need to smoke a cig, put a new tune on and rip a bong. Ive never had a bad pill (except those ones that made me feel like there was sand in my head everytime i stood up, but that was just weird not bad) but i have fallen off a horse.
    Someone should probably analyse the dangers in taking ecstacy whilst riding a horse

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. ashey

Was just trying not 2 Glorify Drugs that aren't what they say on the tin.

No recorded deaths from overdosing on Weed as far as I know, same thing can't B said 4 Ecstacy surely. Like I said EACH 2 HIS OWN yeah.

Nice 1

19. ArguS

ArguS Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

True true.. I could be wrong but i believe most 'ecstacy overdoses' are actually water overdoses where the *idiot* in question drinks to much water and floods their system.. Although i think the E does stop you from peeing at a normal rate, which adds to the problem. Basically drugs are bad but can be good if they're used sensibly. Hey at least Ecstacy users don't shit all over the damn road!

20. ashey

Wish I'd said nowt man, I never was dissing E users. (always same with drug debate)

Mind U same with all drugs, risks R there but, still adamant on weed doing fuck all compared 2 Ecstacy. (different styles of drug)