Easy mixing question

Krispy

VIP Junglist
Hey guys, my question is really quite simple yet I still seem to have trouble with it. Basically it refers to mixing 2 drum and bass tracks together.

When you are mixing 2 drum and bass tracks together when is the best point in the track to usually start playing the track you have cued?

What i've been doing that sort of works is mixing just before the breakdown in the middle of the song or during that breakdown. It seems wierd though, im just wondering at what point you usually throw in your second track and start mixing?
Or else I will start mixing from the first beat after the breakdown.

What do you guys usually do?

I'm just trying to get better at playing drum and bass and I want to play it out someetime, i'm just so sick of house. Dnb is something i've always been interested in so im trying to improve.

Say if you were doing your intro, one tune has a 48 bar (3 phrase) intro and your tune you want to mix it with has a 32 bar (2 phrase) intro, you'd wanna cue the second tune 16 bars after the first one started. Sorry that's not that detailed I'm not amazing with terminology n ting

I'm no expert but starting the second track at any multiplication of 16 bars into the first track normally sounds good. Where all the mini-drops are.

first beat after a breakdown is usually a good place
sometimes this beat can come in suddenly and you will miss it.
little trick, cue the snare instead of the kick, of the track u want to throw in.. soon as u hear it drop back in it will be easier to get ur track in sync.

if that makes sense

Usually it sounds good when both of the tunes drop together. So if you are currently playing a tune with let's say 3 phrase breakdown and you are about to bring in a tune with 4 phrase intro, you should start bringing it in one phrase before the breakdown of that first tune and so on. Obviously it doesn't work as the best option everytime, it's about knowing your tunes, especially when the drums kicks in in breakdowns and intros, being aware of possible mids and highs clashes and so on :)

little trick, cue the snare instead of the kick, of the track u want to throw in.. soon as u hear it drop back in it will be easier to get ur track in sync.

Haha, I thought I was probably one of the only people who did this when I started out! Great minds an all that, unless its just common for people to do.

But, yeah as teddy says it will help you a lot for them drops that come out of nowhere, obviously you will eventually be able to drop it in using the first beat.

Thanks for the replies guys

So there is really no right way or wrong way of going about it. It's not like mixing house where you generally wait until there is about 1:30 left in the track.

I guess the most important thing is when you are beatmatching to preview that first minute of the tune and find out where it drops and so that you can know when to throw it in when you find it appropriate. I mix with CDJ's which is helpful because you can see the waveform of the track you are going to mix in to.

If the track you are going to mix in has an atmospheric, airy intro with little beats then you might want to mix that with another breakdown. But if the beginning of the song starts with drums then a good point to mix that in would be on the first beat after the breakdown.

I think i'm on the right track?

Back
Top Bottom