earplugs for production..

ruksi

easy all...

1st post :) Have read a lot of articles on this forum over the past few weeks, and it has been really helpful in my quest for production perfection...

Have been raving hard for 15 years, my ears have taken a proper BEATING... But now I got my studio setup, i need to protect my hearing.

Ive heard the ER15's are the ones i need to get? Is there anyone on here that has them or could recommend any others?

Thanks in advance junglists....
ruksii

no point in using earplugs for studio work. i agree that is important to wear plugs for clubing or performing, since there is little control over how loud your environment is. but in the studio you can make sure you're at the right volume. you want to find a level that's loud enough for you to be able to hear all the frequencies, but at the same time be comfortable for a prolonged time.
i reckon invest in an SPL meter, the radioshack one is around £40, and there are loads of guides on the internet on how to use them properly. i say for normal listening/sound design stay around 75 dB, and crank it to 82 dB for mixdown or detailed work. at the end, if you want to have blast and get an idea how the tune works loud, stick it to 95 dB, but make sure you dont keep it there for more than a few minutes, or you'll be risking damage.
and be VERY careful with headphones. i developed a ringing on my left ear from blasting headphones when i played out. ER25 would be best for this use. (y)

Yea your getting this the wrong way round mate, 15 years of going to raves with no hearing protection, and now your in a situation where your in control of the volume yourself you want earplugs? Just turn it down.

Back
Top Bottom