Earplugs: -9 or -15?

reptelic

I mix drum and bass in clubs. I've currently got custom moulded -15dB plugs, but I find that I really turn up the booth and headphones to compensate for the quietness.
Seriously thinking about getting some -9bB ones. Is this too low and will result in hearing damage?

What is the industry standard for drum n bass DJ's?

Cheers!

15's are the norm ive found - though even these are't enough really.
would never go below 15, i wrote my dissertation on dj hearing damage and the loudness level results were shocking i assure you
best to be safe than sorry imo

I use -15 for playing out, I know Zero T uses the -22.

Trick is to put your earplugs in before you step in the venue, and to turn up a bit before your set so you get used to the levels.

I’ve had the ACS Pro 17’s for years and can’t fault them, use them for going out and also playing out on the odd occasion when I’m fortunate enough for the chance! I definitely wouldn’t go for -9, that’s not low enough.

Last edited:
Trick is to put your earplugs in before you step in the venue, and to turn up a bit before your set so you get used to the levels.
This. You put them in before the music starts, and you take them out after the music stops. If you've been around for an hour your ears will be fatigued before you start playing, when you need them most.

And yeah, I play loud on the headphones and monitors, because I need to hear the monitor over the PA and the headphones over the monitor again. But when I'm done for the night the ringing is the same as when I went in five hours before, and that's the point.

I'm using ACS as well, and basically went 17 over 15 because the frequency attenuation curve is flatter for 17. -9 is not enough for DJ-ing, and I would say it's not enough for indoor concerts or clubs in general. It's fine for going to the movies.

Back
Top Bottom