Dumb & Base - Independant Feature

Discussion in 'Drum & Bass' started by Controller, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Controller

Controller (╯'□')╯︵ ┻━┻

Source: http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/end-of-dumb--base-1626845.html

Interesting read i thought.

2. BoudiCat

BoudiCat SERIAY.

Cheers for that man. Shows what some people really think of the scene. I don't think that's a true representation though, I feel that the scene is always fresh & moving on.

3. DontLikeCops

DontLikeCops Certified tramp

I would like to comment but i dont have a long enough concentraion span to read all that!

4. Controller

Controller (╯'□')╯︵ ┻━┻

I think this article supports this theory though, with what commix & chase & status say about intergrating their music with other genres, and making music for people at home as well as in the rave.

5. Nutek

Nutek movement junglist

interesting read but it's all a bit negative sounding if you ask me.. no-one seems to look on the bright side of d&b these days, everyone is just complaining!

6. Controller

Controller (╯'□')╯︵ ┻━┻

It actually show's todays scene in quite a positive light if you read it properly.

7. Dj Jammin

Dj Jammin Member

I like it lol... i say fair play to the guy who did it... interesting work ;)

8. BoudiCat

BoudiCat SERIAY.

Yeah it does, I think people have just been reading the first bit & commenting :)

9. Saint

Saint Buried Audio

I think its too independant for a review really. You can't summarise something if you're not involved in it. I don't think anyone who really knows drum and bass will write a review saying its been stagnant recently and is being bought to the mass market again now.

Chase and Status are classic dancefloor drum and bass, and thats what most people love. Theres loads of listenable producers like Calibre that he could have mentioned, because really Calibre should have a huge fan base outside of the scene.

10. hyperd4eva

hyperd4eva H&M SCARVES

its a well written article, i dont like how he says its gone from underground. i dont think thats true.

11. shadow_sniper

shadow_sniper BURCHY!!!

i dont really think its showing the scene in a positive light...its shows artists are branching out into new genres away from dnb instead of improving and refreshing what we already have..i don't understand this real negativity towards the progression of dnb

12. hyperd4eva

hyperd4eva H&M SCARVES

also u cant compare dnb nowadays to dnb in the early/late 90's as its a different era of music plus, the facilities in which to make drum and bass have changed so much its obviously going to change in so many different styles.

Id still call that 90's era jungle

13. ScottyEightSix

ScottyEightSix HUGE EARS > COMEDY CHIN

Cheers man

This is what Drum & Bass should be seen as not just music to dance to, which is where all the Jump Producers are going wrong at the min... You should be able to listen to a Drum & Bass track from start to finish with bout being bored after about 64 bars after the drop... Its narrow minded people that think it is just music to dance that are ruining the scene. And I have heard people from this site make that comment, which imo is just shocking.

14. hyperd4eva

hyperd4eva H&M SCARVES

so true, which i why i like propa soulful tunes. tunes that make you think about good times or bad times.. not just tunes that make u wana go jump around like in a moshpit.

15. ScottyEightSix

OMG, Drum and bass has always taken influnces from other genres its what makes it so special... If you just stick to what it already has you get tracks like: Dont be Silly, Killers Dont Die, Machete etc... Not music bleeps and wobbles for people to bounce about to... Not music imo... If you take influences from other genres you get artists releasing albums like: More Than Alot, Call To Mind, Hold Your Colour, Colours etc... All big albums each track you can listen to from start to finish. Its ignorant comments like that that piss me off.

16. ScottyEightSix

Because people know what it once was.

17. hyperd4eva

hyperd4eva H&M SCARVES

There are still some quality new tunes coming out tho, j magic and wickaman always smash quality tunes, and i reckon chase and status are just on the same path as pendulum.

18. ScottyEightSix

Fair play to them, but does that not tell you something about the scene? Look at all the producers crossing over to dubstep even... They are looking for something diffrent and I dont blame them at the min... But you are right there are still some good tunes comming out.. Sub's album is going to kill it this year.. Commix Re-Call To Mind will be big, Brookes brothers new album will be big, an I'm sure theres plenty more.

19. hyperd4eva

hyperd4eva H&M SCARVES

yeah man, thing is they will go to dubstep, but can you really make that and diffrent, the buety of dnb is you can do so much with it. They will get bored of that aswell eventually.

pisses me off tho cause thewres millions of people that would kill to get one of there tunes out there, and you can tell the difference from a jump up tune that has been thrown together with a tune that has had some heart and soul put into it.

20. ScottyEightSix

Exactly if any of the producers currently big in the jump up scene create an album like Adam F - Colours I will literally eat my shoe.