Duff Records

djalta

Thought I'd vent my anger in the form of a new thread.

Received quite a few dodgy records recently. A few warped ones and the odd one with a bump or scratch on it.

Getting a bit fed up with it, would like to buy from record shops, but dont have the time.

Dont want to name any names but it seems that some record labels pressings are a lot better than others

Anyone else with any thoughts, experiences etc.??

when i seen this i thought someone was makin a label named after duff beer hahaha
I actually thought he was going to say something similar like "Anybody heard XXX is starting up a new label" or something lol. On a serious note though.
Alot of my old stuff is fucked since i got it. My RAM Trilogy - No Reality has awful hissing noises from just before the breakdown to the very end, still play it though, and it's insanely hard to cue my Mr. Happy because it's so warped. Seems to be just older tunes really.
However, i've got a few that are really poorly EQ'd, like Baron - Turn Up The Sun, lacks any bottom end when you drop it in, makes your mix sound pretty poor

This is partly why I stopped buying vinyl. When you spend that £6 and have a warped, crackling, jumping record with a hole that is too big it makes you feel kinda sick.

tbh, any label run by this guy is bound to be dodgy:

duffman128c.gif

Glad to know i've unintentionally created a name for a record label...............who knows i might even use it when i finally get round to starting to produce.

Anyways back to the subject, this weeks heroes & villains are..............

Darkestral - sepia tones ep
Nice sleeve, interesting colour, perfect pressing. I wish other companies would produce records like these!

Dirtyphonics - Vandals/Lottery
Hole in record was too small, had to use a knife sharpner to make the hole bigger!

Last edited:
This is partly why I stopped buying vinyl. When you spend that £6 and have a warped, crackling, jumping record with a hole that is too big it makes you feel kinda sick.

:word: i'd say about 5% to the tunes i buy on vinyl don't sound like they should do which is a piss take when your spending £6 for two tunes (usually buy it for the one though)

tunes i have bought which sound like pieces of shit (in terms of sound quality lol) -

evasion vip and unreal promos - taxman - crackly and fuzzy
sleep in ya eyes - heist - crackly and fuzzy
jungle music and toy town - soo quiet
mr jah cabbie - soo quiet

anyone else have problems with these tunes?

The coloured dread vinyls just feel so nice for some reason. Serum - iron hands is just the solidest vinyl, perfect weight everything.

The annoying one for me is the papa lover remix, goddamn holes too big!!

The coloured dread vinyls just feel so nice for some reason. Serum - iron hands is just the solidest vinyl, perfect weight everything.

The annoying one for me is the papa lover remix, goddamn holes too big!!

yh i got ammo dump by serum on dread and it is perfect quality but had to make the hole a bit bigger.

:jungle music and toy town - soo quiet

anyone else have problems with these tunes?

My press of Toy Town is too loud imo :D Did you get the promo?

Had a problem with the Burial & Four Tet release. Hole was well too small. Had to spend ages scraping away at the hole with scissors. It's perfect now though.

Have to agree with the Sepia Tones EP being a quality release. You can tell time and effort has gone into making the packaging and the tunes. The plastic protectors instead of the shit paper ones normally was another nice touch...

Most labels will use recycled vinyl pellets to press their vinyl up at the pressing plant as its a lot cheaper. If you want primo sound and quality you need to get 180 gram virgin vinyl. Not a lot of labels press using this though as its expensive.

The last tune I bought that was pressed like this is Quemists - Stompbox (Spor Remix) on Ninja Tune.

Yep my unreal by Taxman sounds horrible anfdthe flip two. 2 tunes I have never played out!

Although my evasion remix is cool.

Too many of my new tunes have been warped, hole too big /small. Crackly...............Think some changes are in need.........Shame as I love plastic more that CD's too. But you cant hold onto anything for too long.

Back
Top Bottom