Dubstepping dnb

Dustek

Finished the PhD
VIP Junglist
Right, I'm pissed off.

This is what I wrote in another thread:

"This dubstepping of dnb tunes is fucking shite and cheapens both styles.

When dnb was young, it stole samples and riffs from all styles of music but it didn't grow through remixes.

Making a dubstep version of a dnb track is a piece of piss and it may be throwaway catchy but it will ultimately kill both styles of music. I could sit down tonight and make a dubstep version of Inner City Lights - and Goldie would be right to throw me down three flights of stairs."

Who agrees with me or disagrees with me?

I have nothing against other styles of music drawing inspiration from dnb. I feel that dnb almost died because it became insular and stale when it started drawing inspiration (or rather not drawing inspiration) only from itself. But making fucking dubstep versions of dnb tracks is a cheap trick that doesn't expand either dubstep or dnb. Dubstep producers should take beats, basslines or other elements of dnb to utilise in dubstep tracks but they shouldn't rework entire tracks. Easy and ultimately self-destructing.

Garage, dnb's bastard child almost murdered dnb but is dead itself. Will dubstep die likewise? I'm sure it will if we're getting dubstep versions of Original Nuttah and Where's My Money.

And before I get slagged off as a dubstep hater, I'll state that I love fresh new dubstep with an original vibe like jungle back in the day. But versions - :resick:

Last edited:
i agree with you mate. its either gotta be dnb, or dubstep. dont put the two together by form of a shit remix. im not a massive fan of dubstep myself, like some but im sure the hardcore dubsteppers would agree.

i agree with u!
although i did a dubstep version of mr happy!lol:lol:

i agree to an extent. but i think the odd remix here and there is ok. if it's don'e properly and tastefully, ya na?

as you said, using samples is probably the way forward, not straight up remixes.

'Inner City Lights"?? heh.

you could take the same argument to dnb using elements, or even full on remakes, of hip hop/house/old school rave tunes. Sometimes it works in a refreshing way, sometimes it sounds crass. ad infinitum. Cross-genre interpolations have been happening since dance music's inception, and are pretty much what has driven every sub-genre of it forward.

and if you think garage was dnb's bastard child, you clearly need to check your history.

'Inner City Lights"?? heh.

you could take the same argument to dnb using elements, or even full on remakes, of hip hop/house/old school rave tunes. Sometimes it works in a refreshing way, sometimes it sounds crass. ad infinitum. Cross-genre interpolations have been happening since dance music's inception, and are pretty much what has driven every sub-genre of it forward.

and if you think garage was dnb's bastard child, you clearly need to check your history.

Well done, mate, you haven't understood a word I said.

dustek said:
When dnb was young, it stole samples and riffs from all styles of music but it didn't grow through remixes.

Didn't I fucking write that dnb took elements from musical styles?

Didn't I fucking write that this is what drove dnb forward?

Can't you fucking understand that sampling/stealing/ripping elements drives music forward but making fucking crap remixes kills it?

And as far as garage is being dnb's bastard child, then tell me what 138 Trek is?

Last edited:
Oh fuck, that stupid fucking comment from Anabasis is one of the reasons I hate the internet, because fuckers can't understand what you write even if you underline, stress, reiterate and do your utmost to make a point clear.

I'm still pissed off.

Dnb didn't fucking grow through remakes.

It grew from stealing the best elements of other musical styles but remaking them into a totally different style.

Point in case: Tribal Bass.

One of the most important dnb/jungle tracks ever and it steals from Enya & reggae but turns it into jungle.

Not a fucking remake.

Oh fuck, that stupid fucking comment from Anabasis is one of the reasons I hate the internet, because fuckers can't understand what you write even if you underline, stress, reiterate and do your utmost to make a point clear.

I addressed your argument head on. And funnily enough badly informed whingers like you are the reason I hate the internet.

you could take the same argument to dnb using elements, or even full on remakes, of hip hop/house/old school rave tunes. Sometimes it works in a refreshing way, sometimes it sounds crass.

Thought these dnb interpretations were rather :missile:

Utah Jazz - La Cinta
Alix Perez - Crooklyn
Jay Z - Show me what ya got (Influx UK mix)

I addressed your argument head on. And funnily enough badly informed whingers like you are the reason I hate the internet.
yea well if you hate the internet so much...and hate hearing someones opinion....then why bother fucking expressing your one sided opinion...k, so go back to doa

fokin arrogant pricks a gwarn lately. sheeesh:shake:

<3 Dusty

Right, I'm pissed off.

This is what I wrote in another thread:

"This dubstepping of dnb tunes is fucking shite and cheapens both styles.

Making a dubstep version of a dnb track is a piece of piss and it may be throwaway catchy but it will ultimately kill both styles of music. I could sit down tonight and make a dubstep version of Inner City Lights - and Goldie would be right to throw me down three flights of stairs."

Who agrees with me or disagrees with me?

I have nothing against other styles of music drawing inspiration from dnb. I feel that dnb almost died because it became insular and stale when it started drawing inspiration (or rather not drawing inspiration) only from itself. But making fucking dubstep versions of dnb tracks is a cheap trick that doesn't expand either dubstep or dnb. Dubstep producers should take beats, basslines or other elements of dnb to utilise in dubstep tracks but they shouldn't rework entire tracks. Easy and ultimately self-destructing.

Garage, dnb's bastard child almost murdered dnb but is dead itself. Will dubstep die likewise? I'm sure it will if we're getting dubstep versions of Original Nuttah and Where's My Money.

And before I get slagged off as a dubstep hater, I'll state that I love fresh new dubstep with an original vibe like jungle back in the day. But versions - :resick:

:word:

I agree, these pointless remixes really piss me off.
D&B did grow (and still is growning) through sampling from other genres. High Contrast said he buys old music to make new music. To sample from. Not make bastardised remixes of things (although High Contrast does alot of remixing nethertheless)
I like dubstep & I love drum & bass. I do not want the tow mixed together, with a very few exceptions like riisu said.
Dustek, I see why you're pissed off.

i'm just here to stick up for the original nuttah remix, because i still like it, sorry dustek, but i do. even though i agree with what you said about it, it loses a lot in translation, i just like it.

can't say i've heard the where's my money remix or would even listen to it, i think an important issue here is are dnb producers gonna cheapen dubstep by using dnb as a cheap ticket into the scene? i don't honestly think many dubstep producers will whore their dubstep tracks to the dnb scene.

good music is good music wherever it comes from, whether or not if it rips samples from other tunes or not. Im not bothered if its drum n bass or Dubstep or a hybrid of them both, if its a good tune why hate it for what it is??

People should stop worrying so much about this sorta petty stuff. If it's a good tune brock out n enjoy it.

Bring on "The Nine" remix, Lol only jokin, but I can see where your comin from Dustek sometimes they work (Dj Sc's remix of Mr Happy) but most of the time they dont (Original nuttah remix).

Back
Top Bottom