Dubs that take years to surface.

Mr_Whitty

What are your thoughts on dubs that float around for 2-3+ years and then finally get released. I see a few like Natty, Optix and City Lights finally getting a release.

Do you still get excited when the tune finally sees the light of day or does it not interest you no more as it has taken too long to come out?

Both.
Depends on the tune. Some get stale after time and some are classics. I guess it's almost impossible to tell if a tune will get become a classic, and even then it's a matter of opinion.

Grooverider - Charade.
I live in hope of this getting released one day.

If it's good then it's worth the wait
Often you get excited over a track because it's unreleased and form an obsession over it but if it actually came out you'd probably get sick of it quite quickly

EG. everyone on here wanking over that Culture Shock tune :/

There's definitely an art to keeping something a dub for a long time. The Cylon LP stuff has all been floating around for years (eg dBridge - Fire Fall You) but because it hasn't been rinsed to fuck, it means the LP is still extremely relevant.

Some other good ones:

The rest of the Cylon LP
Mark System - Pursuit
Breakage - Natty

i'll add more as I think of them

I would kill for Justified (Spectrasoul rmx) to be released on vinyl. Because that tune was leaked (cunts), it has become a limbo tune - you can download a copy of it illegally if you want to, but you could never play it at an event (well, if you have a conscious and don't fear of being flamed by the whole DJ community). Unless something is done about it (like a label releasing it on a limited vinyl run), it will always be one that got away....

It depends... There have been tunes I've been pretty excited about, then as soon as it comes out, I'm bored after a week.

The ones that stay in the bag are usually tunes with great b sides, that I end up playing for years to come.
I still play Floating Zero, but it never leaves the bag because bonsai run is on the flip.

This doesn't really irritate me too much unless I've heard the tune battered in club nights I've been to, and then it doesn't get released.

Dbridge remix of Fighting Fire is still something I'd want if released.

There is a couple of Calibre tunes that he opens with in his Dnbrespect Radio set which allegedly still haven't been released that i'd kill for too.

Good mentions of Justified remix and Charade. Both killers.

Might as well throw Calyx and Teebee Warrior VIP into the mix. Heard it start to finish last tune of a Nyx set at Hardware ages ago, pretty much guaranteed that wont get released.

Flying Lotus - Tea Leaf Dancers (Logistics remix) also

Dub War Remix (Pascal / Tango) - Been waiting 22 years for that!

Roni Size - Trust Me (Version 2) - apparently available on the white label double pack but I've never seen it.

Dub War Remix (Pascal / Tango) - Been waiting 22 years for that!

Roni Size - Trust Me (Version 2) - apparently available on the white label double pack but I've never seen it.
Dub war got a release the other year although it was on white

That unreleased remix by Spor and Woodruff spring to mind among others.

Imagine how does it feel to be able to play Charade in the club. Like for instance playing a b2b set with Logistics, him being wasted, load the tune in the CDJ, realising he needs to use the restroom and saying "play this mate". Yeah, didn't happen to me at all :teeth:

iirc no one could even ID tayza - firefist for at least a year and it was just known as "hazard's brother's track" lol. then it took another age to come out when the artist/name was found out. then he disappeared again!

Back
Top Bottom