Dub Phizix - ???

in general do labels mind people uploading clips of forthcoming tracks? like say if i hear a tune in an official, tracklisted podcast that has a free download then it's all kosher to cut the tune and upload it to youtube right? purely for the purposes of showing it to people who might be interested? i mean it's free promotion!

i mean it's free promotion!
it's labels business to decide about the promotion. they promote it when they want to promote it. in this case it looks they don't want people uploading their music to youtube - even if it's a clip from their own podcast or whatever. you might think it's good for them, but i think they know better.

it's labels business to decide about the promotion. they promote it when they want to promote it. in this case it looks they don't want people uploading their music to youtube - even if it's a clip from their own podcast or whatever. you might think it's good for them, but i think they know better.

sure, they know better, but unless they explicitly say they wouldn't want it happening i think it's not unreasonable to assume they're fine with it. obviously in this case they did mind and i don't know where the tune was cut from but im guessing it was a live set and not a tracklisted podcast. and obviously if i was the person who uploaded it before i;d respect they didn't want it uploaded and leave it.

but generally, i don't think MORE promotion can be worse. the only reason i can think of that they wouldn't want extra promotion is if it was horrible quality or mixed really badly and it made the tune sound bad. if it does the tune justice then it's only going to enable more people to hear it and it's gonna direct traffic to the podcast (& hence the label) and result in more people buying the tune when it comes out.

unless of course they don't want people to hear the tune until just before it comes out so it's super fresh and more people are inclined to buy it (and i'm guessing that's the case with this tune), but if that was the case they wouldn't stick it in a podcast with a free download!

edit: this is all just speculation on my part though and i'd be happy to admit i'm wrong if it turned out that labels actually did mind, even in the case of it being a tune you can hear in podcasts anyway

Last edited:
Labels have a pretty mapped out promotional plan. If a tune is plastered around too early people will get bored of it, it probably won't get used as much by the top djs before release, it could distract people from a forthcoming release on the same label or even a different label. All I know is there is always a set amount of time, for example, between a label to up a tune on ukf or something similar and then the full release date. Not so long that people lose interest but not so short that the tune hasn't achieved its optimum hype and notoriety so it gets bought by the masses. But what the fuck do I know lol

Back to the tune. Any chance someone can tell me where it was ripped from so I can have a listen?

Last edited:
a lot of effort goes into securing youtube promotion etc. channels have exclusive uploads for a reason so it's reasonable to not want audio plastered around everywhere before the tune's even been announced

but unless they explicitly say they wouldn't want it happening i think it's not unreasonable to assume they're fine with it.

ur totally right man. as long as people don't say no, is all good! :borat:

ur totally right man. as long as people don't say no, is all good! :borat:

wow talk about taking things out of context. obviously that statement doesn't apply to everything in general, but you can't deny it doesn't apply to lots and lots of things..

for example, no one has ever explicitly told me i shouldn't have cornflakes for breakfast, but i've used my judgement and come to the conclusion that no one minds and so i eat corn flakes for breakfast anyway. same reasoning applies here, except i'm way less sure of it so i had to ask. and apparently in this case i was wrong.

but thanks for the proper replies jungle fever & jsmith, don't understand why some people are so desperate to find something (someone) to laugh at..

35358967.jpg

wow talk about taking things out of context. obviously that statement doesn't apply to everything in general, but you can't deny it doesn't apply to lots and lots of things..

for example, no one has ever explicitly told me i shouldn't have cornflakes for breakfast, but i've used my judgement and come to the conclusion that no one minds and so i eat corn flakes for breakfast anyway. same reasoning applies here, except i'm way less sure of it so i had to ask. and apparently in this case i was wrong.

but thanks for the proper replies jungle fever & jsmith, don't understand why some people are so desperate to find something (someone) to laugh at..

good-good-let-the-jimmies-rustle-through-you.png

Back
Top Bottom