DUB-FX ... anyone heard of this geeza..

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by EWOKS, Nov 12, 2009.

1. EWOKS

EWOKS POTATOES GONNA POTATE

while back Soph intro'd me to him on youtube..

blokes stupidly talented..

think he must use Ableton or some kind of live recording/looping platform..

makes tracks on the spot live .. just using purely vocals and looping.. fuckin impressive..

records a beatbox, then loops over some synth using his voice and pedals records that, then singins over and lopps that over.. impressive considering he builds up a half decent track in the space of 5 mins....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F6EoMdn95E&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiInBOVHpO8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WxRq10VBQM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=860PGF9GXZY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9biaAf82OE&feature=related

EQUIPMENT BREAKDOWN FROM THE MAN HIMSELF -

My Gear – RC50 Loop station & GT10b FX processor

" Hi…

You might be interested in what i use to create my music, so here is a little break down.

Starting from my Mic i have a “Shure Beta 58″ which runs into my BOSS GT10b Bass FX processor. The GT10b is an amazing toy which is where most of the magic is created. The FX are almost infinite ranging from EQ, Compression, Delay, Re-verb to crazy stuff like Pitch Shifter and Vibrato. By programing the GT10, i can manipulate the sound of my voice by using different FX and changing the order in which they run, to further the manipulation. Once i have a sound that i like, i can also use the 2 control pedals and volume pedal to automate the FX. For example, when i swap between my 2 characters “Monsoon-the deep rapping voice and Lyric -the higher rapping voice) i am just using the volume pedal to change the pitch of my voice with the pitch shifter.

I started out with the GT06 nearly 10 years ago and over time i have perfected the sounds i use today in the GT10b. Now i have over 30 different patches i have programmed and use in my live show.

I also have a BOSS SYB5 Bass synthesizer pedal which runs into the GT10 as a send return. This is a great pedal as it takes the pitch of my voice and creates a syth sound in the same pitch that I’m singing. I also have an EV5 volume pedal which controls the cut off frequency of the SYB5. Once i have chosen the type of syth i want to use i can run it through the GT10b’s Amp modeller, distortion and so on to create a huge bass sound!

The last bit of the magic is the BOSS RC50 Loop station. this is an awesome piece of gear as it samples what ever i play through it in real time just by hitting the record button with my feet. Their is a little bit of skill involved because if you don’t press record at exactly the right time the loop can go out of sink when you try to loop it. I can record three different samples and play them together or separately and i can add to each pattern as well. So usually i put a beat on 1, some harmonies on 2 and a bass on 3. This allows me to separate the 3 core elements in my composition to change the dynamics and the way the music flows.

Linking the GT10b and the RC50 i have a midi cable and a stereo out from the GT10b. this allows all my FX to be stereo and in sync from the midi cable.

When i am busking in the street People are also really interested in how i power my equipment! so here is my busking set up.

I Use a 75AH gel Battery with an 800 WATT Inverter and 2 Behringer Ultratone K3000 FX Amplifiers. Plus all the neccesary cables to link it all up.

I have been perfecting my sound for a long time and it has taught me a a great deal about FX. If you ever have any questions about my gear be sure to post them on my forum.

Cheers,

dub fx "

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  2. dose.bs1

dose.bs1 THE DADDY

Yes mate, spot on i seen dub fx in bristol about half year ago

3. Scythe

Scythe New Member

Got his album, such a legend!

4. rob_del_terror

rob_del_terror - ̿ ̿'̵͇̿̿з=(•̪●)=ε

posted 'flow' in the spine tingle thread 2 days ago. fuckin legend. i contacted him about bookings but its not gonna be till mid 2010. if the price is ok i'm gonna get him on a nice lineup in blackpool.

got my old dear to order everyfinks a ripple the other day as well as i got no paypal. fuckin leg end.

5. Jakue08

Jakue08 Active Member

i saw Dub FX in Cabot Circus in Bristol the weekend Cabot opened, i stood there and jsut stared in amazement, i bought his album for a tenner, would anyone be interested in having it?

6. EWOKS

im after his album.. how many has he got ??

where can i get them?

7. wo88le

wo88le A Mockery of a Travesty

saw him live in Exeter last year, brought his album straight up after the show.

Says on his site you can get them here
    http://www.convoyunltd.com/

can't for the live of me remember which one i've got :S lol

8. Jakue08

Jakue08 Active Member

i only know of one album that he has, cant even remember what it is called, ill up it tonight after i do my IT coursework and then send you links

safe

9. dose.bs1

dose.bs1 THE DADDY

10. dose.bs1

dose.bs1 THE DADDY

^^ think thats right?

11. Jakue08

Jakue08 Active Member

^^ i dont have that one, i have another one, i might have bought a mixtape? god knows...ill up it anyway

12. EWOKS

yea up it and if i like it ill buy it..

for the amout of time and effort he puts in, and coz hes trying to get known etc, im happy to buy it.

if its cheap enough ill just buy it i rekon

i download stuff off millionairs who have already made it big .. most of my underground ukhh etc i buy.. always nice to have a decent cd aswell reather than an mp3 on your comp

13. Dan M

Dan M hard gay northern bear

hes a fag like you

14. Tatty Bojangles

Tatty Bojangles -=Grimey Limey=-

Wow, that guys got some serious skills. Good heads up man.

15. philski

philski smoke weed everyday

he's big, big fan i am!!

16. Dave Dexcell

Dave Dexcell Dexcell

17. rob_del_terror

rob_del_terror - ̿ ̿'̵͇̿̿з=(•̪●)=ε

my thoughts exactly. they ship em from aus, about 13.50 euro's it was which i think is about £8.

boy got serious skills. all about woodnote aswell. i wanted to go n see em when i was in poland as they were on about 2 hours away from where i was but transport/money issues tripped me up on my way out the door.

my mate introduced me after he saw him at glasto, he was performing under a tree on the last morning with people jumpin up on another mic to spit over his beats.

18. EWOKS

whats woodnote rob ?? i dont know about this ...

any idea what he uses to record with and what synth pedals etc.. pretty clever how he incorpatesit all . thnk i may love him :gimp:

19. Turtles

Turtles Member

20. DjTiesticles

DjTiesticles Well-Known Member

And to think twats like John and Edward will make more than this guy ever does in his music career. There is no justice in the world. It should be guys like this who are getting national exposure on prime time television, not some weird looking twins who Louis Walsh has dipped his cock into