[Drumstep] V is for violence.

Discussion in 'New Talent & Track Reviews' started by RATAone, Feb 6, 2014.

1. RATAone

RATAone New Member

Hello, I'm mainly looking for tips on the mix and on the structuring. what do you like? what don't you like?

2. smoothassilk

smoothassilk Active Member

I like the atmosphere and the kinda general style: It kinda reminds me of mefjus 'Far too close'
    In terms of mix, the drums, snare in particular are too dominant, turn them down a bit.
    I think I'd like a bit more bass and mids, for this style. I don't know if that's a mix thing or a sound design thing: what have you got going on here in terms of bass?

In terms of structure, I think either more drop or less build.

3. RATAone

RATAone New Member

Thanks for the feedback.. basswise all i have is a subass under that saw wobble.

4. smoothassilk

smoothassilk Active Member

It might just be my mediocre headphones, but what note/frequency sub?
    Doubling it up the octave (Assuming it's a sine?) might be a nice idea for a little more clean power without overdoing it.

5. RATAone

RATAone New Member

@smoothassilk

yeah, it's a sine, and i'm trying that right now.

6. IV4

IV4 Currently a newt.

I gave it a listen. The balance between your drums and bass is off. I would suggest creating a bass with one of the oscillators turn to a sine connected to your wobble. Find where the sine is hitting and split that frequency into another channel. Split the rest into a mid frequency and high frequency. Use parallel processing to get a nice balance between your 3 split bass.

or

Keep your sine wave sub. I notice you did not just jack up the volume to get a "bigger sound". That is good. One thing you might want to play around with is your compressor with the drums, and then side chaining your kick drum to that sine wave.
    You can also detune sine wave a different intervals to get interesting wobbles and add a transient shaper to get interesting harmonics.
    have fun playing around.