drumstep classification

Discussion in 'DJ's, MC's & Turntablism' started by Krispy, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Krispy

Krispy Member

So im under the impression drumstep is half time dnb... So still approx 170bpm.

How come I see alot of drumstep tracks on beatport that are in the dubstep section?

Maybe this is a stupid question because drumstep could be either 140 or 170bpm?

2. hyperdemon

hyperdemon Member

dubstep=shit

drumstep=sped up shit

3. T:M

T:M Dusty Techno Workout

Think the main reason cause its a kinda a grey line in terms of sound as it is sometimes difficult tell and it may also be a result of who is doing the data entry for the track, or maybe since drumstep isn't a catagory its a choice the artist/label makes?? Just some ideas...

Beatport doesn't always catagorize shit right in the first place, ever try looking for Future Garage on there? Headache.

But you're right, for all intent and purposes drumstep should be filed under DnB.

4. Krispy

Krispy Member

yeah i just figured it something is to be called "drumstep remix" or whatever then that to me means that it is at a dnb tempo

But its confusing when the song is categorized as dubstep and they dont change it.

But yeah they can definitely be out to lunch when classifying stuff sometimes

5. TongueFlap

TongueFlap Flappin'

Its at dnb tempo but with a half time feel (the kick & snares are more spaced). Just happens to be called drumstep.