DnB Drums

D-Jhepz

◕‿◕
VIP Junglist
I looking to get a more organic feel to my drums and as well as a more organic way to program and produce them...

I've heard some good stuff about EZ drummer but i wanna know if any of you have got tips and tricks and plugins when it comes to drums.

Currently i just use mainly .wav audio and program each component (kick, snare etc..) on its own channel so its easier to play around and change and effect and such, occasionally sending them to exs24 for some pitching and rolls and shit... however im looking to get a bit more complex so in sense trying to program a feel of a full drum kit and and a "real" drummer which the way i just explain limits quite badly?

I'm aiming to get drums like a bit like Wilkinson... which if you watch the link is just fucking awesome
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmHFYntoUlU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1AOUfjawtI&sns=em

Have a word with this guy! ^

All I can say is use many similar samples to replicate the drums being hit differently, play around with velocity and quantisation. No human can hit a drum on the beat, every beat. However with DNB there's very little space for swing so be careful with it as it will sound sloppy very quickly. Hope that helps?

yeah i get all that, the shuffles the ghosts n what not but i wanna basically build a drum kit from which i can program the hits... hence mention ezdrummer...

How do u program them in... multi channel, samplers.... i heard kontact is good too?

Hi,

My drums still need loads of practice but I recently have enjoyed using addictive drums. Today I uploaded some stuff I did with AD: https://soundcloud.com/swayzy
I'm not sure if that sounds better than what you get. I still need practice. I agree that Logic is bad on its own (or maybe I just mix badly with it!). I like to put in the electric drum 14 in exs and also the ultrabeat classic hip hop analog beat to get some feeling in the bass a bit. Steven slater stuff sounds good from the demos but I need to master AD first. It seems to have a lot of filtering opportunities which could be good for the kicks and the snares when mixed seem (to me at least) pretty ruff.

im on logic so so far the only thing i have at my hands is exs24 which i think for drums SUUUUCKKKSSSS

The EXS24 is actually quite good mate. It may lack some of the bells and whistle's of a more modern sampler like Kontakt, but it's a great workhorse sampler.

YouTube search for SFLogicNinja, he'll teach you how to make the most out of the EXS24 for building drum kits.

Cheers.

One last thing D-Jhepz:

To get a more humanized feel, open your piano roll containing your drums in Logic and do the following:

1. Select all notes except the first hit of each bar.
  2. Under the "functions" select "transform" and then "humanize."
  3. Click the button "operate only."

This will slightly move each midi note's position as well as velocity to add a bit of off timing variation so the drum programming doesn't sound so precise, hence "humanizing" the feel. The reason we don't want to select the first note of each bar is that we want a bit of continuity from one bar to the next. To add, if a note goes outside the boundaries of the MIDI region, it will not play.

For more info on Logic's different transforming tools, go here.

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom