Drums that roll

Manny

Hello everyone :D.. i have a pretty noob question and that is in most dnb but ima take dj dose for example how does he make his drums have a roll to it but only using one shots. like is it the hihats that do that or is it the velocity of the kick or snare like can someone give me a clue, hint, something?

please :D

sorry your question is really unclear mate,

by drum roll you are not referring to drum rolls at the end of say a 32 bar section, but you are referring to filling up your drums between the kick and snare, am i right?? ghost snares? shuffles? that kind of thing??

i am very skeptical about your post, as it seems you dont know what part of the drums you are asking about, as if your ears are not working ???? !!

If your asking about drums that roll, (like Breaks drums, vicious circle's etc.) I'd say make sure you have a good kick and snare, two or three sets of hats and most importantly hi passed breaks, I low cut my breaks to 14000KHz to make sure there is no low end in them so they don't conflict with the rest of the drums or sub bass, try not to add more than 3 breaks either as the mix can get a bit cloudy, bongo's are also used alot in rollers, as well as linked shuffles, hope this helps.

i think cutting the release or the length of your samples down is essential part of any dnb drums!!!

sorry for being vague like when you hear the amen break its super shuffly as if thats a word but like it has a huge shuffle that i cannot make with regular drums

Choose your favorite brake and @ ableton in clip view choose warp mode as beats then in granulation resolution click on transient after this in transient loop mode choose off then reducing transient envelope you can get something really nice and cool :). Sometimes this stuff works when you need keep things minimal when you layering breaks etc :)! So if you are on ableton take a look :)

ok well its not so bad to use breaks and loops btw, i use breaks and loops every track, but i edit them and put alot of work into them so they are crafted to suit me personally... it can be insanely hard, if not impossible, to recreate some of the shuffles from your favourite breaks!! please let me emphasize there is nothing wrong with using rexs loops or breaks.

i usually use my own Kick. snare. hi hat... then i use rex breaks to add the little shuffle inbetween my own drums, its the way forward i swearr!¬!

like ill put a doctor rex and ill put an amen but i dont know if i should just like get a recording of the break and like chop it precisely in logic or like highpass the shit out of it and try to make it blend

haha lol well i use recycle to make rex loops then i use dr rex player in reason and thats pretty muuch it... you can edit all the single hits individually once u copy them to the track in reason?? what program are u using

sometimes i'll do a fresh chop, where i take the individual parts of the break, and chop them up to recreate the break how i want it, sometimes i'll just chop over the break, so the break will stay the same but i'll just add more to it.
Theres examples of what i just said in the 2 tunes i put up, wether it sounds good or not i dunno but it did when i did it :P
I Usualy work in 1/32 then for anything more intricate (not usualy) 1/64.... just experiment and have a good memory, if your working in reason 5 it wil re-trigger the note when you move it so playing the break and moving the drum hit you want can be quite productive if u can retrace where and when.
Also seen a way of using the pattern sequencer and a rather cleanly rexed original 4 bar amen. its on youtube somewhere so try looking there!
I also work one bar at a time with a sperate sequencer window on full zoom.

Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom