Drumming and keyboard lessons. Would they help?

yeah i think my productions really benefit from playing the drums. has a lot of advantages imo. it's not only for getting a feeling for groove, but it also gives you much more opportunities to create your own grooves or fill-ins instead of just copying the standard, boring pattern, because you learn to play different genres like jazz, swing, rock etc.. also analysing beats from people you look up to is interesting or just being able to write down a beat that comes to your mind when you're at university or in a bus or whatever and don't have the possibility to program it right now.
so yeah, playing an instrument is not necessary but definately useful for creating digital music imo.

thats one view, another is what my mate said and that is that its taken him years to break out of those techniques he was taught so that he could write something truly original.

true dat, but after going round a mates house who had a sweet elec drum kit... i was able to figure out the pattern and velocity needed to make a military style drumming (y)

thats one view, another is what my mate said and that is that its taken him years to break out of those techniques he was taught so that he could write something truly original.

This logic is generally used by lazy people as an excuse not to practice. The key info above is: "taken .. years .. to.. write something truly original".

One can even argue that there is nothing truly original. It's all just combinations of shit that's been done before. If you can't do the old shit, you wont be able to combine it into newer shit.

Yeah, it would defenitly help. I benefit from it aswell, but with a guitar. Especially when I'm working on a remix and i want to know the chords then I just find them through guitartabs and from there I can make up the melody in a piano roll. So keyboard lessons would defenitly open your horizon.
I think that if a great musical composer would make a song it would be a killer melody. So go for it!

Back
Top Bottom