Drumfunk labels?

drumfunk is amazing but fading. used to be heaps of labels but now even offshore is gone. alpha records maybe?
maybe drumfunk isnt fading so much as evolving? i see a great merger (and quite a resemblance) between minimal and drumfunk.

Last edited:
I just understood it as minimal DNB with strong funk elements and more focus on breaks..

(I didnt coin my recent tune as DrumFunk- BattleDrone on drumnbass.be did.. )

Drumfunk definition on pineconemoonshine: "Majority of the tracks are melancholy collages of noise, heavily processed samples, and atmospherics driven by broken break beats and heavy sub. Free jazz, early electronics, blues, and post punk are noticeable influences in several of the pieces."

"What is Drum Funk?

Drum Funk (more often seen as "Drumfunk") is the name given to a certain style of Drum and Bass that focuses on intricate drum work. In the mid to late 90s, Drum and Bass evolved in way that understated percussion and unique drum kits. Some producers, notably Paradox, went the other direction putting nearly full emphasis on complex drum programming and/or trying to achieve natural or live sounding drums. Like all Drum and Bass, the bpm is tightly restricted between 150 and 180 and features prominent sub bass. Compared to popular dancefloor styles, Drumfunk is actually more related to the Drum and Bass (or Jungle sound) of the early 90s.

Drum Funk (or Drumfunk) has also been described as Choppage or Edits after the sometimes drilling, hectic, and fast rate at which the main rhythm might be altered or varied.

Most Drum Funk producers and labels release a variety of styles so the term has grown to have quite broad scope. At sometime or another most people involved with Drum Funk have been active members of Subvert Central.

Drum Funk as it pertains to Pinecone Moonshine has less to do with drum tracks featuring minimal atmosphere and more to do with covering a range of creative electronic music. "

Last edited:
i think your definition is good too chromey. i fking love good drumfunk, it brings back the vibes of old metalheadz. i dislike 1 hour long crazy amen sets, lot of lose interest in the genre and start looking for something else like that. not a dig on you as such gambit, just my opinion on it. we have drumfunk nights here in amsterdam called ichi one, paradox played last time under his alaska moniker and it was a cracking night all around. heres a drumfunk tune i made many years ago tune

wicked- thanks for the tune!
(It's funny to me; as my original producer name was 'Spectre' lol! oh the irony..)

after doing some digging for DF on soundcloud I now realise that DF is my direction of choice.
http://soundcloud.com/nic-tvg << some wicked music!!!
Right up my street.. loads of inspiration there!

I really do hope theres a future for DF in the minimal juggernaut.. if there is- you'll find me there ;)

also; from http://wikibin.org/articles/drumfunk.html :

The most important and influential labels in drumfunk are
Paradox Music,
13 Music,
Inperspective,
Outsider,
Offshore,
Subtle Audio,
Secret Operations,
Forestry Service,
Counter Intelligence,
Bassbin,
Breakin,
Subvert Central Recordings and
Lightless Recordings

answered my own question :D

Just got to find contact details for that lot... google is my friend I guess..

Last edited:
I defo dig this style of music... really peacefull and organic the production from Nic TVG... BIG STUFF!!!
Yes, there's a 90's feeling, but still modern concept and an excellent start for other possible sperimentation...
LOVE IT! :)

Cheers guys. Thanks for checking out my site. Hi Chromey :)

Drum Funk is in an odd state of flux right now. Many of the producers/labels that were most identified with the sound have expanded their styles to the point it makes no sense to call it Drum Funk anymore (think ASC on Inperspective vs ASC on Auxiliary).

There has also been an influx of Jungle style tunes and producers coming up which make for an even fuzzier distinction as amens edits/choppage is a big part of both new Jungle and Drum Funk.

So for the last two years, Drum Funk has been obscure enough that I kept a weekly list of new releases (http://pineconemoonshine.com/misc/loidf.php) but in the last few months it has become too difficult for me to determine what should go in that list anymore. Labels like Sci Wax were always firmly grounded in Jungle so now that the Jungle sound is re-surging again does it make sense to call it a Drum Funk label? I'm not sure. Dev/Paradox for sure makes the list, but everything else is a bit hard to pin down haha.

Our last CD on Pinecone Moonshine only has 2 tracks out of 10 I would for sure call Drum Funk, 3 or so maybe, and the rest definitely not in the traditional sense of the style. Personally anything I make I just call it Drum Funk because why not. :lickface:

I highly recommend the Exegene catalogue as that was my starting point into Drum Funk (http://www.archive.org/details/exegene).

---------- Post added at 12:22 ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 ----------

Also...

The most important and influential labels in drumfunk are
Paradox Music
- Paradox's main label for his own releases. Expect a new album this year (probably the biggest thing I'm looking forward to).
13 Music
- defunct
Inperspective
- after a bit of hiatus, inpersepctive is on the return
Outsider
- Paradox's label for releasing new artists
Offshore
- on hiatus
Subtle Audio
- kicking ass big time! :)
Secret Operations
- defunct? ASC is currently working on other projects
Forestry Service
- defunct
Counter Intelligence
- on hiatus
Bassbin
- defunct, but check out Ruff Revival
Breakin
- defunct
Subvert Central Recordings
- does random projects
Lightless Recordings
- back this week with a 5 track ep from Dak. Some fun, techy drum funk stuff with wicked basslines

other labels:

Sci Wax
- Equinox's label. frequently reps new artists.
Digibeat Music
- the strongest going dnb net label (currently having website woes, but will be back soon)
Absys Records
- not focusing on drum funk recently, but more minimal side
Astrophonica
- Fracture & Neptune's label should need no introduction. It's sick, sick, sick
Break-Fast Audio
- digital label with a long list of strong releases
Digital Wrecka
- Profane's label. This is hard hitting drum funk: nasty and aggressive with hints of soul (chromey, send your demos this way man ;) )
Golden Age/Black Hoe
- A very diverse label that recently started pressing up vinyl.

and i probably forgot somebody :confused:

Back
Top Bottom