Drum Track

Rawkus81

First off, hi! :wave:

I guess this is mainly an FL Studio question but I was wanting to know how people divided their beats in FL studio sequencing.

Do people put all their kick/snare/hats all in one channel. Do you possibly just keep all the kicks in one channel like if you mirror a kick with a different sample or must everything go in its own chanel?

As it is I am trying to do everything in seperate chanels for the sake of keeping things seperate for the mixer but this seems like quite a long way to go about it and adjusting beats is a pain to flick between a few piano rolls.

Finally is FPC an ok VST for this method, this is what I'm using at the mo but not really using FPC hits using 3rd party samples so should I just use a sampler vst? Feels like I'm going about it the wrong way so wanted to ask some advice. I don't really get FPC and will need to put some more learning time into it if I need to use it or should I not really need it? Am I better going for something like kontakt or battery?

Sorry that's alot of questions :confused:

Last edited:
Fruity's built in sampler (ie. the options you have when you import a straight down no bullshit single wave file) is amazingly adequate for beat working. You can have multiple samples trigger from 1 "layer channel" at the same time if need be.

I almost never use any samplers for beats anyway. If I use one it is for breaks layered on top of the beats.

As for channels, you can easily put all samples on different fx channels and then route them to busses if you need to.

For example a recent track of mine:

-2 channels for 2 different breaks, compressed differently (second plays only at fills)
-2 channels for 2 shakers, a maraca and a sampled think roll
-1 channel for 2 kicks, bussed together and compressed slightly to glue them together (if I need to adjust their volume independently from the step sequencer window
-2 ch. for 3 layered snares. The first is has distortion and the second has a reverb and compression/gate
-1 ch. for 2 percussion single hit type sounds with a big verb

That's 8 channels of beats in total. There's little to no compression on the single channels but I've routed all the single hit channels to 1 drum buss that has a deeper compressor on it.

If you need help on routing the fx channels or using the layer channel just ask.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I'll keep plugging away with the seperate channels then nice to know I wasn't going too far wrong. I'll leave the FPC alone also for now too :)

I saw a bit of routing and layering but I'll have a play and will take you up on your offer if/when I get stuck.

Back
Top Bottom