Drum synthesis in Logic Pro X

tej0

Hello guys,
I've just finished watching all kinds of essential tutorials for Logic Pro X and I realized that the drums should be the first think I should focus on. My question is where should I create my kicks and snares in Logic? I don't want to use samples (I tried it before, but I want to create my own). I've already tried working in Ultrabeat synth, but according to discussions and threads on the internet, It seems not to be the best way as Ultrabeat isn't very good at this point (it is more like a sequencer than good synth as far as I know). Are there some other synths builded in to Logic Pro X which are suitable for drum synthesis or should I get some external VST plugins? Thank you in advance for any help

Cheers
Teo

Rule #1 on production: don't always trust the interwebs. Must people bash things because it's the fashionable/viral thing to do. I bought into the whole "Ultrabeat sucks" thing awhile go, but after acting like a grown up and taking the time to really get to know the plugin, I've found that it's absurdly useful and offers a plethora of great options on a per sample basis–contrary to EXS24 where the Amp Env applies to all the samples as a whole, not independently.

Ultrabeat is a fantastic part of Logic that can run circles around EXS24 in terms of using as a multi-channel instrument. Start with the "Drag and Drop" preset and then pay attention to the Amp Env. I have my own template made that has the Env wide open so that my samples sound as intended when I first place them into Ultrabeat. Honestly, I don't bother using Ultrabeat's step sequencer or any of that shit. Moreso, I use it for tuning, filters, and for applying choke to ride and hat sequences.

Trust me man. Ultrabeat is legit. Scour through the TONS of samples that Logic came with, including a ridiculous number of drum one shots. Hell, even Ultrabeat's presets aren't half bad.

The point is this–getting to know the tools you have at your immediate disposal. I own a SHIT ton of VST effects and instruments and honestly, I regret buying 80% of them because they literally are sitting stagnant on my hard drive. I go to know a handful of tools inside and out, now I find I can emulate almost anything any other plugin or instrument offers within my go-to tools that are a part of my workflow.

Logic's only limitation is the user, so get to know the program and every instrument/effect it offers. Then if you find that there is a specific "sound" that Logic isn't capable of doing for you, search 3rd party options.

Just my .02.

Thank you very much for your opinion. I know that internet discussions aren't always relevant, so that's why I wrote here, because you guys know how things work. As you said, I should rather start with stuff that Logic itself provides for me, than spend money and time for external instruments and effects. If you know about some helpful tutorial videos etc. (I know there are a lot of them on youtube, but it's mainly focused on genres like hip hop and some other more "mainstream" genres than DnB) I will really appreciate any further help :)

Cheers
Teo

The absolute best place for videos, in my opinion, is MacProVideo.com. Yes, it requires it subscription ($25 per month or annual plan) but it's so worth it. I can't really say enough good things about it to be honest. There's en entire "course" dedicated to all things Logic–plugins, mixing, workflow–everything.

Cheers.

Hi there,
I'd like to ask you guys for some kind of help. Recently I'm working in Logic Ultrabeat, trying to synthesize some basic dnb kick and snare. I've read all kind of basic tutorials etc. and I think I made some progress, but I'm kinda stucked now. I don't know how to give my beats some dnb feel, depth and character. Now it sounds like some very simple, tekno like kick, same with snare. It misses drum and bass character at all when I compare it to some neurofunk beats samples. I tried to layer more sounds, but It didn't get better. There are very few tutorials on making dnb beats in ultrabeat, so I haven't found help in here. I think that EQ and compression isn't my issue, it is sound of beats itself. I have no idea how to improve it and I have been trying make some progress for days and days with no result.I will appreciate any advise like some beat synthesis tips, links to tutorials etc. Thanks in advance
Teo

Back
Top Bottom