Drum Sounds

jayou

How's it going guys, just a simple question I need help with. I've just started playing with reason, got myself a midi keyboard and some decent speakers, and I'm finding reason not to bad to get my head round, but whatever I do I can't seem to make my drum sounds anything like what I hear on a drum and bass track. I've got gigs of samples but they just sound unprofessional and 'tinny' when I program something into redrum, what am I doing wrong?!

i often use some overdrive on my drums to give them a bit more impact, but you need to be happy with the drum sound you start with. keep searching till u find a sound which your happy with.

How's it going guys, just a simple question I need help with. I've just started playing with reason, got myself a midi keyboard and some decent speakers, and I'm finding reason not to bad to get my head round, but whatever I do I can't seem to make my drum sounds anything like what I hear on a drum and bass track. I've got gigs of samples but they just sound unprofessional and 'tinny' when I program something into redrum, what am I doing wrong?!

ive had the same problem since i started producing... i only used reason but i got advised to get NI Battery 3 to make make my drums... anyways i got battery but i aint got a clue how to work the bastard thing... :(
i feel that if i got my drums sounding a bitt more 'professional' my tunes would be much better/tighter as my basslines e.t.c is owrite....
anyone got any tutorials on how to use battery? or some tips on where to start even, it would be much appreciated.... cheers (y)

I think there are more than enough tips out there for drum processing, just search :)

But anyway, let's say it again. Layering+compressing+eq+using tubes and distortions and compressing again and so on.

If the sound needs punch layer a hit that has punchy low end and blahblahblah, just use the search ffs :EE

there is no right or wrong way to do
anything.... if it works.......

parallel compression really helps....
that and you really need alot of layers
to get the rms up....

In Reason, Battery isnt going to do crap for you because Reason does not support VST's which i beleive Battery is. Unless you rewire Reason through Ableton or Cubase that is. I use solely Reason and what I have done to get my drums sounding thick and full is a few different things. I primarily use the NNXT to write the main kick, snare and some hats and whatnot. I load three of each drum hit, a low, mid and high. I then run my kicks out of one output to its own EQ and compression, same with snares, and i usually run a direct line to a mixer for the hats. I then take a few REX loops players to layer some other breaks behind that main kick and snare to give it even more depth, typically one running high pass and so on. I then, if it needs it, use the redrum for some thickening through the main parts. Sidechaining your kicks through the subs is always a good idea also. I can go on for days with this. Haha

i usually use distortion at first and take it from there, if it needs a bit more punch then i use compression.Its great for making grimey/dark beats but its no good for making a nice crisp clean Liquid dnb drum sound.

I load three of each drum hit, a low, mid and high. I then run my kicks out of one output to its own EQ and compression, same with snares, and i usually run a direct line to a mixer for the hats.

Hiya
I know you're talking reason, but if you're using FL or Acid, you'd still do the 3 snares/kicks/cymbal on different channels and then pan/EQ/FX them individually to get a better drum sound?????? Have I got that right????

Back
Top Bottom