Drum Roll Tips

Discussion in 'Production' started by Snaz, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Snaz

Snaz Member

How do I go about getting a really heavy drum roll? I cant seem to get the power for those big drops?

I have previously just built a roll using thekicks but it never sounds that heavy, or is it repeating snares that do it?,

2. miszt

miszt BASSFACE Royale

filter them down/up, also make sure the timing is correct, so if you start with 8 1/4 hits, then do 8 1/16th, 8 1/32, etc. also worth filtering up a bit just before the last few hits, and filter down on the last 2 or 3

a great way to add a big boom on the end is to drop the 3rd to last kick, gives it a little skip, and/or reverse the very last kick so it slams into the drop

also Cymbals or Snares are great layered over a kick roll, for cymbals do 2 x 1/2 beat, then 4 x 1/4 beat, snares mayb every other kick, with a couple really fast just as it drops

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  3. Snaz

Snaz Member

Thanks Miszt, these are some great tips, will sit down and try them out this week and see what i can do.

4. Innovine

Innovine Active Member

start thinking like a drummer. snare rolls are the most common, but you could no doubt throw in a roll with kicks or even toms (a little unusual in dnb). start soft and try raising the volume of the hits as the roll progresses. you could also add a mild lpf before the roll starts, and raise the cutoff throughout the roll to make it a little brighter towards the end. real drum rolls dont sound identical from hit to hit. you could also slightly accent the hits which land on the beat. other tricks, such as a white noise swooosh noise building up in the background can support the roll. post a soundclip of what you got and it'll be easier to suggest improvements

5. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

Also, dont forget about the velocity of the hits, if you are just putting down kicks one after the other, make sure to change their velocity, so they either build in volume, or lower.

6. Snaz

Snaz Member

velocity, crikey never though of that doh!

thanks all for your feedback, will have a nosey at this stuff this weekend.

Snaz

7. Elements

Elements Member

Cut-off all the way down > Automate Up
    Resonance all the way up > Automate Down