drum programming

dnbk0d3fr33k

dnbkodefreek
Can someone explain to me the process of drum programming and what step is it in the production phase....

....I think that made sense:crazy:

Fes Rock

Nothing..........
VIP Junglist
EQ each skice seperately.
infact reading that last thread [sook]
to each is own....everyone seems to make it happen with there own method. Sure maybe you want your tunes to sound like Subfocus/Pendulum, but as beginers?

just put your heart innit, you'll get it:cowbell:

Fes Rock

Nothing..........
VIP Junglist
I wasnt impliying your tunes sounded like that.
just seems to be the new black??>
Gots to have soul:orly:

added myspace:beers:

xen

...innit
VIP Junglist
Drum sequencing is allllll about layering. Start off by working to make a basic beat, and slowly - and CAREFULLY - layer your snares, kicks, try to get the frequencies spread across the spectrum for a more even sound.

The intricate little inbetweeny-sounds (hihats, shuffles, incidental hits etc) are what give the rhythm texture and variation, and that's when you can go nuts and zoom right to 1/16th beat level and slightly nudge hihats to add a bit of syncopation.

I've not done anything like that for a long time now, and tbh I'm feeling the need to go nuts and make a track with an incredibly-detailed drum sequence. Trick is, getting the right samples to start with ;)

xen said:
to 1/16th beat level and slightly nudge hihats to add a bit of syncopation.
I find the best syncopations come from even subtler nudges. like delay a ghost snare by a dotted 1/64th or some shit. If you line up a classic funk break on a grid you'll definitely see some major unquantized shit going down that often is just a few ms off beat. Makes all the difference in the world tho.