Drum programming d&b - what goes where?

mr meh

VIP Junglist
So i dont wanna use shitty breaks from sample packs anymore and want to start programming my own drum beats from scratch, i know i need a kick, snare and hat but not sure what goes were......does anyone have any examples over 16 bars with the variation at the end?

Also what software are you guys using to program your beats?

cheers

sooo

x x x x | x x x x | x x x x | x x x x|

thats a bar

k - h -| s - h -|h - k -| s - h -|

for the simplest two step pattern. rest should be self-explanatory.

and how you may see, im using fruitys stepsequencer and sampler. its fucking great! :D

i record my drums through a microphone. to tape. then fuck it all to bits through my emu and other bits of random hardware i found. like shit i found on the street, like an amp and a tapedeck with eq and whatnot, in amsterdam you leave whatever you dont want anymore in the house on the designated refuse area which means just walking the street in certain neighborhoods you can find anything from a sofa to a table to a stereo amp to an electric guitar. then i cut it up in cooledit 96. and sequence it in fruity loops. or modplug. i did buy some hardware too i have to admit, but you wouldnt believe how cheap second hand hardware is these days. not that i have anything special, just a few bits and bobs. theyre fun though.

what im trying to say is listen to fanu. and then do it like that, he is gooder than hell that man, the boy can play man shit fuck play the pads and them drums and the conga and sub. you have fun though, thats the most part. try and be an artist, not an idiot with pirated cubase on your computer. listen to music you like and youll figure something out, eventually. these things take time you know.

For drum's what I do is first get 2 kicks, one low sounding and one a bit higher, I low cut my kicks to 60hz and boost them at 90hz to make sure they don't conflict with the sub bass but are still punchy, I then get 2 snares and 1 clap and layer them on top of each other, I cut the low out of them to about 90Hz but give them a boost at 200 to give them a punch,

Once I have done this I send them and the kick together to a bus channel and compress them together, If i'm making minimal I will send the snares to a separate bus and probably side chain them to the kick on the compressor to give that nice bit of suction.

From here i will add 2-3 sets of hi-hats, the spalshier the better as they fill up frequencies better, once again if doing minimal i may side chain them to the kick. I will also take all the low out of hats by low cutting them to 14,000khz (so quite a lot) to make sure there is no low end in them, I will then add maybe 1-3 amen breaks and cut them to 14,000 khz again to take out the low end to stop confliction with anything else. I will sometimes edit one or two of the breaks so that they do not play on a kick or snare too. On a second drop it's quite nice to add ride's or bongo's or any sort of weird percussion to keep thing's interesting, anyways Im sure I've bored you and anyone else who is reading this by now, so hope this helps!!!!

best way to get some ideas would be to open up some already made rex files and then see where the beat hits are until you get used to it.. might also give you some creating ideas

For drum's what I do is first get 2 kicks, one low sounding and one a bit higher, I low cut my kicks to 60hz and boost them at 90hz to make sure they don't conflict with the sub bass but are still punchy, I then get 2 snares and 1 clap and layer them on top of each other, I cut the low out of them to about 90Hz but give them a boost at 200 to give them a punch,

Once I have done this I send them and the kick together to a bus channel and compress them together, If i'm making minimal I will send the snares to a separate bus and probably side chain them to the kick on the compressor to give that nice bit of suction.

From here i will add 2-3 sets of hi-hats, the spalshier the better as they fill up frequencies better, once again if doing minimal i may side chain them to the kick. I will also take all the low out of hats by low cutting them to 14,000khz (so quite a lot) to make sure there is no low end in them, I will then add maybe 1-3 amen breaks and cut them to 14,000 khz again to take out the low end to stop confliction with anything else. I will sometimes edit one or two of the breaks so that they do not play on a kick or snare too. On a second drop it's quite nice to add ride's or bongo's or any sort of weird percussion to keep thing's interesting, anyways Im sure I've bored you and anyone else who is reading this by now, so hope this helps!!!!

I don't know but sidechaining the snare to the kick? Nothing happens that way mate, the kick and snare don't sound together, so why would you sidechain that. Then the next part, highpassing your hats a 14000Khz? That means that you have almost no highhat left. I would say highpass from somewhere between 500 and 2000 which leaves you with a nice highhat with no low end in it.

I don't know but sidechaining the snare to the kick? Nothing happens that way mate, the kick and snare don't sound together, so why would you sidechain that. Then the next part, highpassing your hats a 14000Khz? That means that you have almost no highhat left. I would say highpass from somewhere between 500 and 2000 which leaves you with a nice highhat with no low end in it.

Just what I've learnt from chase & status and Alix Perez tutorial's mate, agree with you that you dont have to hi pass hats so much, but side chaining works well, trust.

a mixture of programmed drums with dirty samples is the way to go imo, a clean kick a clean snare, and some sampled breaks in the background can be good,

Last edited:
Just what I've learnt from chase & status and Alix Perez tutorial's mate, agree with you that you dont have to hi pass hats so much, but side chaining works well, trust.

really have no idea what sidechaining the kick to the snare shoud do tho. they never hit at the same time?!

No if you are talking about sidechaining melodies or your bass to the kick and snare would be a different story.
That works, sidechaining your kick to your snare has no effect at all, unless they sound at the same time.

You boys could be right but Im pretty sure my mate showed me a way of getting a snare with reverb on and then side chained that snare to the kick. Could be wrong???

ok if it has a massive retail on it and youre placing the kicks directl beneath that. id not sidechain that tho, id highpass the reverb and push them through a limiter, thatd sound like if it was sidechained but with less effort :D

Yeah so it's the reverb on the snare that is sidechained to the kick, that is something else than the snare sidechained to the kick.

Yeah so it's the reverb on the snare that is sidechained to the kick, that is something else than the snare sidechained to the kick.

Yeah like I said, I use it when I make minimal, which means it's pretty essential to have some reverb in the tune to fill up the space.

K x K x | S H H S | H H S H | H S x x|

K H S K | H S K H | S K H S | K H S x|

K x S H | H S H H | K K S H | H S H H|

Just be thoughtful and remember that most main hits are every other beat ;)

K x K x | S H H S | H H S H | H S x x|

K H S K | H S K H | S K H S | K H S x|

K x S H | H S H H | K K S H | H S H H|

Just be thoughtful and remember that most main hits are every other beat ;)

these all sound pretty shit tbh? what were you thinking of when you did them? what kinda song did you have in mind?!

to me they all sound pretty off with snares on the .2 points..

Back
Top Bottom