Drum n Bass & the internet - doa/dnbarena

klusta

Pulsar
VIP Junglist
Seems to be some threads kicking about after Fresh's comment in Knowledge.

http://forum.breakbeat.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=72105
http://www.dogsonacid.com/showthread.php?threadid=148417&cache=83

seems as though DOA got some recent $$ backing which I expect means buisness men involved.

My question

Now investors gonna want results, $$ investment = expected $$ back....is this gonna push doa towards modifying their activities towards $$££? e.g. ringtones, record sales (already got), exclusives (taking shape), advertising (surly doa gonna be pushed on radio1 as Groove's onboard) etc.

Personally I'm all for it cause I'll always use boards/sites as a resource and if the resources are increasing in quality, bigups.

discuss

Hmmm, not sure whether it's an investment as in expecting a return on that investment or whether it's just providing backing to help keep things running. I think the latter.

The advertising etc. is just to help pay the running costs which were coming out of Fresh's pocket, can't really see DOA becoming a massive money making venture. Same with the banana arena, can't be cheap running the forum and streaming all those sets and stuff, need to do the ringtone ting etc. to keep it running without charging people.

V Matt said:
Hmmm, not sure whether it's an investment as in expecting a return on that investment or whether it's just providing backing to help keep things running. I think the latter.

The advertising etc. is just to help pay the running costs which were coming out of Fresh's pocket, can't really see DOA becoming a massive money making venture. Same with the banana arena, can't be cheap running the forum and streaming all those sets and stuff, need to do the ringtone ting etc. to keep it running without charging people.

I really feel bad for fresh. I mean, having to foot the bill for the website and all... whew that must suck... Maybe he should sell his Ferarri for bandwidth?

:tosser:

Re: Re: Drum n Bass & the internet - doa/dnbarena

Ben Sage said:
I really feel bad for fresh. I mean, having to foot the bill for the website and all... whew that must suck... Maybe he should sell his Ferarri for bandwidth?

Haha, word...you tell 'em Ben :slayer:

Re: Re: Drum n Bass & the internet - doa/dnbarena

Ben Sage said:

:sleep:

Jealousy won't get you anywhere, writing a decent tune might though. Give it a go sometime :thumbsup:

Re: Re: Re: Drum n Bass & the internet - doa/dnbarena

V Matt said:
:sleep:

Jealousy won't get you anywhere, writing a decent tune might though. Give it a go sometime :thumbsup:
:uberlaugh

laughed with the ferrari thing, gud one ben:D:D:D:D

But really, why would any serious posters would feel better or go WHOA!!! if Andy C or Grooverider or whatever 1000-quid-an-hour-DJ is posting on a forum? The one big name thats been actually usefull is AK1200, that fix up any bloopers with dubs an stuff. Honestly i feel much more respect for sdm and the dnbforum crew, who have set up this whole thing and pay it from their not-so-overflowing pockets.
And im fukin sure that B.C.s main man can afford to keep a forum of the DOA range(2000000 threads), without having to sell shares to other fellow "high class" DJs.

I think its a joke really, I run a site myself we have only been going 4-5months but have got 5 million hits (equates to about 6-7000 visitors) and I have about 5 gig downloaded of it a month.

Now this costs me £12 a month to run as I do it all myself, aint exactly breaking the bank...

Plus I know doa is a lot bigger but it doesnt even scale up like that, I mean he would most likely pay for a co-location box, which usually comes with unlimited bandwidth for I dunno 100 a month, the only thing that is gonna cost is the disk space which is dirt cheap.

If you scale this with the exposure his name/label/records gets from the site and then take into account the extra bookings/record purchases they get because of this, I bet his income would far out weigh his expenditure even without any advertising at all.

So all the gimicks/ringtone business for his site aint really necessary....

DNBA is a bit different its not run by people who have an end product that would benefit from the free advertising, so they would need the advertising etc to pay for itself.

Personally I think this is the best dnb site and what I model my own on, but thats another matter entirely ;).

KidKut said:
Plus I know doa is a lot bigger but it doesnt even scale up like that, I mean he would most likely pay for a co-location box, which usually comes with unlimited bandwidth for I dunno 100 a month, the only thing that is gonna cost is the disk space which is dirt cheap.

1) No such thing as unlimited bandwidth :tut:
2) DOA is 3 boxen :razz:
3) I do agree that running DOA wouldn't be too hard - there's really not much there besides a mail server, a forum w/ db, and a rtsp.

:rinsed:

Back
Top Bottom