Drum n bass still as Good?

BlazinAndy

For all the oldies on this forum.... well i wudnt say old but the veteran's!

anyway wud u say drum n bass is as big as it was wen it first started back in the day or has it grown?

its bigger than ever, its just not centralized anymore, its a global thing now. i hear russia an puerto rico in particular is the shit for drum and bass raves, raiden even moved to slobenia or something

Uh oh..

Just having a bit of green tea before I get to work and saw a chance to moan…

Lol.

Its grown but its not all good…

I speak to DJ’s on a regular basis and I think the general consensus is that it has become a lot less special. In the sense that everyone can knock out a half decent tune and put a half decent label together and knock out a set of half decent releases..

From my personal point of view I really have trouble with the coldness of the production these days. Where has the bass gone????? I mean it all sounds as though it was made on someone’s computer not in a studio you know. There are many producers now turning back to hardware studios I know that both Ed Rush and Optical for example are all moving back and have spent a fortune on creating studios which the amateur producer could never afford thus making there newer tunes stand out from the hundreds of other software producers.

This means the production will hopefully begin to go back to having that warm rounded sound that it has lost and needs so, so, so, badly to have back. I have really fallen out of love with most dnb and don’t really recognize it as much anymore. I mean (sorry to go on about it) but when I hear a lot of dance floor orientated dnb it shocks me at how completely unmusical and messy it is, its so hectic and there is no room to think, which believe it or not was a big part of why I got into dnb. It used to be imaginative, creative and fresh. I mean its as if its been completely dumbed down. Im not talking about the top guys, Hazard, G Dub etc but more the 1000000 other little wannabes that I see day in day out ( am gagging to name names but I wont.. but check the dnb awards for examples). The tunes are incoherent messes, that incorporate unlistenable sounds and arrangements that could only be appreciated if you want to jump around like a twat. Its all gone a bit happy hardcore to be honest. What happened to those lovely old moody tunes?

I blame Breakbeat Kaos..i swear that if Bad Company had stayed together we wouldn’t be in this fucking mess…
lol.

On the plus side whilst we do have this general dumbing down of dnb we also have producers pushing things forward and retaining a degree of musical integrity and don’t just make tunes for pilled up 18 year olds….. Break, Fierce, Dom and Roland, Kryptic Minds, Alix Perez, Commix, Breakage, Doc Scott, Goldie etc… thank god for these guys still creating / pushing MUSIC or I would have been out of here long ago.

Last edited:
i feel i have to echo some of lokki's sentiments. for me it's not as good. but's it's gonna be hard to be ground breaking anymore. i've found this with nearly all the types of music i like. for me hip hop is a shadow of it's former self as well. now it's all about bling and gangstas and blatant misogyny. what happened to the radical spirit of the music?

but i think with so much diversity in dnb now you have to find your own path. you can stick to the path and just buy, play or listen to what the top dj's play, or delve as deep into the music as you possibly can and find a gem of a producer whose music speaks to you on a personal level.

i feel maybe dnb has become a status symbol for some in the scene. and they are happy to see their favourite producers knock out twenbty tunes a year with the same vibe and flow as the previous twenty, but there are producers out there who constantly challenge themselves and evolve their sound, which is ultimatley what music is about. lokki said if bad company had never split up... but i have to say d-bridge would be wasted working maldini, fresh and vegas these days, he's one of the ones who's taking dnb by the balls and respect to him for that. and when goldie dropped his album, i thought here's a man who for all intents and purposes looked like he'd fucked off for a career on the screen, then realises dnb needs him and came up with a small masterpiece and constantly put challenging and intriguiong dnb out on his label. metalheadz, is truly gonna stand the test of time, sadly many, many, many others will fall victim of their own self importance.

Yeah that’s true. I was mainly blaming Fresh… lol. true Romance is one of the best tunes post bad co.

Oh yeah.. and before this turns into the inevitable slagging match. These are opinions. Ok.. im not dictating to anyone.... what do I know..

:)

but

the bit about production and throw away music isn’t opinion

Last edited:
the scene has definitely progressed in terms of worldwide recognition, but hasn't really got any better for it.

there just isn't the same excitement and togetherness about it anymore, partly as the sound hasn't really evolved that much over the last ten years - and as safety said, it just isn't ground breaking anymore. also a contributing factor (imho) is that the DNB scene as a whole has become too divided by sub-genres, catering for fans of specific styles.

I've been listening to dnb for many years now and gotta say I've never liked it as much as I do now. And I'm speaking just about the tunes, not saying anything about the underlying scene.

Back
Top Bottom