Drum n Bass music, notes n stuff

Discussion in 'Production' started by Sleight, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Sleight

Sleight New Member

Heya everybody,

I'm new to this forum, so first i'll make a very short introduction:
    I'm Sleight, and I like drum n bass music, as far as the Prodigy makes it. I simply love the Prodigy, and every other drum n bass that I've heard, even remixes of the Prodigy songs, I don't like that much.
    So now, I want to make music myself. I've got a computer and a keyboard which I thought that might be handy. I think I can get MIDI files in my keyboard and out of it, if that might be necerially (spelled wrong? :p )
    I was planning to start by making music thats like the first album of the Prodigy, and if I ever get to complete that, then I'll see what ym next step would be.
    I do have some knowledge of music; I can play, ofcourse, keyboard a bit, drums (I love to play fast drum n bass beats :p ), guitar and bass.
    But I don't know how to make music on my computer yet, and more important, I don't know the theories about the music that I'd want to make. In the Prodigy's songs it's a lot like lots of different sounds and note pieces together, but I've got no clue what notes they are, so I can't figure out much.
    Especially the bass is hard for me, I can't really follow that, but I think that that might be one of the most important parts.
    But it would be really cool if someone could send me some notes in some sort of way of one song, with all chords, bass, small pieces, vocals etc., then I could see the combination between chords bass and everything. I have no idea how it's commonly send in notes, and whether someone even knows them. Maybe just guitar tabs would work?
    I'd really like to start with this music, since so far I've only been busy with rock music, which is way easier imo.
    I hope someone hear can help me a bit, thanks in advance for that.

Sleight

2. mr meh

mr meh Well-Known Member

Prodigy isnt drum & bass for a start....

3. Forau

Forau CONCUSSION RECS

First of all, widen your collection.

Listen to drum and bass. REAL drum and bass, non stop, day in day out, take notes of beats, bars and phrases etc.
    Look into producing each sound, from beats to basslines and sub bass to effects and vox. DOnt try and learn it all together, concentrate on one at a time, following the general structure of drum and bass, they should all piece together fine with a little tweaking.

4. Cat Gas

Cat Gas Aka Basis

I disagree. Listen to enough dnb to learn what it is and what you like about it and what the structure tends to be, but that's it. Then you bring in your own styles and influences to it. Thats if you want to make dnb that is

5. Forau

Forau CONCUSSION RECS

Ive always strongly felt a large collection of different styles helps significantly in production. More places to draw inspiration etc. But i do agree with you to a point.

6. Sleight

Sleight New Member

If the Prodigy isn't really drum n bass, then i don't know what it is lol :p
    I'm not a dnb expert so I guess i might be wrong, but I've heard everything, from techno rock to breakbeat dance acts, but I've always thought it was just drum n bass, and partly lots of those other styles.
    Anyway, I know exactly what I like about the Prodigy's music, and what I dislike about those others. The Prodigy has more of a slow build-up towards a climax at the near end, with a very short outro. It's like, it start with 1 sound, sometimes it's drums, sometimes it's bass, and sometimes it's something else, but it's almost every time just 1 thing. Then slowly other sounds drop in 1 by 1, and after a while some parts fall away again. So, it's never too empty, and never too full either. Then the music goes through some interludes, mostly 1 or 2, and falls back into main. Then all of the sounds you've heard before drop in faster, and the music turns really cool with everything together. It's full indeed, but it's almost the end of the song and it's the climax. Then lots of things fall away at the same time, repeating some sounds quite empty, and the song has ended.
    That's about every song, and I simply love that build-up.
    But to get this, I need 1,2, or 3 drum beats, 1 or 2 basslines, and lots of small sound parts or vocals.
    I really think I could get enough of those drum beats myself, but I dont think that I'd be able to make cool basslines, and especially I think it might be really hard to find lots of those small riffs which sound good with that bass, that's the main problem.

So how could I get inspiration for those small repeated sounds, and how could I get them to fit in with the bass?

/post conflict
    I don't know whether I should start listening to other drum and bass music. As I said, I appear to only like the Prodigy's, with an actual big gap between the Prodigy and the others. I am trying to listen to as much music made by the Prodigy, so I have all their albums :p, but I just don't like those others, and I also don't want to draw inspiration from them, because I don't want to make music like that.
    Maybe you know some more bands or dj's like the Prodigy? Or are they really unique?

7. ARTFX

ARTFX www.artfx-studios.com

Prodigy is more breakbeat and rock mixed with all kind of influences from other electronic music genres.

8. horace111

horace111 My name is Jago (HYQXYZ)

I think that, in terms of notes and chords, drum and bass is just like every other style of music you listen to. That's why there are remixes of classical pieces and why there are lots of influences of other genres in drum and bass. The only thing you have to do, is not trying to exactly mimic what the others, in this case the prodigy, do. I love the prodigy and to me they are a great source of inspiration too, but keep in mind that there is so much more than that. What you can do (which you've already said) is listen to their melodies, bass and beats and see how they've mixed them, and what kind of sound they chose. But there are no standards for the combination of bass en melody though, you're free to do what you want with them. The things I started of with not so long ago are: A simple drum and bass bit which would go like _*-**_-* which is a 4/4 measure in which _ is a bassdrum, - is a snaredrum and * is a hi hat, but I'm sure you're familiar with that. Then for a melody, choose something you like , it could be very simple, don't try to make it too complicated. My first track had a melody which consisted of 2 notes F and F# which gave a cool sound. As far as the bass goes, I'd just start with a simple sub, like 2 sinewaves that are very lowly pitched. To keep things simple you could just have them play the same notes as your main melody, but lower. These are the basics that I started with, I'm not saying you should but it might help you on the way.
    You'll also need an audio program to work with. I'm not going to choose for you as it is very personal, but the major softwares used today are Fl studio (Windows, free trial), Reason (Mac/Windows , free trial), Logic (Mac Only , not sure if there's a trial, but I guess there is) and cubase (Windows/mac, trial available). Just try some of them and see which one you like the most. I started with Fl studio and I stick with it as I find it to be the easiest, but I've heard that other software has much more possibilities, so you'll just have to try some :)
    I wish you good luck in your experiments and I'm looking forward to your first track ;D

9. Sleight

Sleight New Member

Ok, I guess it might be handy to get some skills in some of those programs, so I'll just get one first :p
    But as far as you say that I don't have to stick to others, but that I'm free to go my own way; I just don't know if I can even find anything that I'd like better than the Prodigy's :p , I mean, maybe just some small things here and there, but the main line seems just perfect to me. I'll start downloading FL, and then I'll see what I can make in first place. Mostly musical things look really easy to me, but they turn out really hard :p
    Thanks for all help, and I'll post again when I need some more help.

10. Phat_Sam

Phat_Sam Well-Known Member

1. Get MS Paint
    2. Learn colour charts
    3. ???
    4. Profit

11. Innovine

Innovine Active Member

If we knew how to make tunes like the Prodigy do you think we'd still be sitting here discussing shit on a forum?

Also, here is a youtube video showing how to make Smack My Bitch Up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU5Dn-WaElI