Drum n Bass CD Packs

ReanimatorX1234

Hi, I havent listened to Drum n Bass regularly for some time, although started listening in about 1998 or so. I was looking at trying to get into some modern Drum n Bass, and I bought a CD pack not that long ao. I was looking again tonight on Slammin Vinyl, One Nation and Random Concept but I cant find many of the main djs I grew up with (Andy C, Zinc, Ray Keith, Friction, Mampi Swift, Fabio, Groovrider, Garry K & Dollar, Bryan Gee, Nicky Blackmarket etc etc) listed at all. Instead there are djs like Chunky Bizzle, M blaze, Props and Rowney

Firstly, whats going on? Are all the main DJs not doing events we can a gually buy CDs from anymore?

Secondly, if thats not true where can I find (buy) a consistent supply of sets from the DJs I want to listen to? A few random sets on YouTube every now and then arent really what I am looking for lol.

Thanks a lot

Firstly, whats going on?

Thanks a lot

I think packs are a thing of the past in the main mate (although someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). I haven't seen or bought something like for 10 years probably.

With the whole digital era things have changed quite a lot in that respect.

Soundcloud & Mixcloud are good sources for mixes.

..where can I find (buy) a consistent supply of sets from the DJs I want to listen to?

Other than watching the artists´ soundclouds and mixclouds, radio is your best bet.

Ray Keith is spinning on Origin FM on friday afternoons from 1 to 3 pm. A lot of others have occasional appearances on that station, Bryan Gee, Jumping Jack Frost, Randall (I think he has a monthly there called R in Session) as of recently. Check the archives too.

Brockie and Det on Kool this Sunday (according to the timetable).

Bryan Gee is doing a lot of podcasts and mixes anyway, watch the V-Recordings soundcloud for that.

Don't waste your money on CD packs when there are quality mixes being posted here and on other sites on a daily basis

I have collected cd and tape packs for nearly 20 years and find it such a shame this is another aspect of the scene that's fading out. I think the packs have documented the scene well and I think promoters have forgotten what great advertising they are for their events. Back in the day you would regularly get all different promoters selling tape packs out the back of cars outside bagleys and the sanctuary etc and all most all big events got recorded. A few cd packs come out these days but they are getting harder to come by and some of them are terrible recordings. If you want to buy one I would recommend the contagious cd pack from last December as the recording quality is very good. Also the latest jungle mania pack is pretty good although I have only got through half the cd's so far.
I am currently in the process of digitizing my entire collection (a very time consuming endeavour) once I have completed this I plan to put them all up on sound cloud and will post a link here.

I have collected cd and tape packs for nearly 20 years and find it such a shame this is another aspect of the scene that's fading out. I think the packs have documented the scene well and I think promoters have forgotten what great advertising they are for their events. Back in the day you would regularly get all different promoters selling tape packs out the back of cars outside bagleys and the sanctuary etc and all most all big events got recorded. A few cd packs come out these days but they are getting harder to come by and some of them are terrible recordings. If you want to buy one I would recommend the contagious cd pack from last December as the recording quality is very good. Also the latest jungle mania pack is pretty good although I have only got through half the cd's so far.
I am currently in the process of digitizing my entire collection (a very time consuming endeavour) once I have completed this I plan to put them all up on sound cloud and will post a link here.

The problem isn't that promoters don't think they're good advertisement, it's simply a copyright issue. A promoter or label cannot sell CD packs from their events because they do not own all of the music that was played that night, and getting permission to release it and make money from it all is pretty much impossible. If a night was to be recorded, put on CD and sold, then that would ultimately effect the music the DJs were playing - as they know they can't play the freshest dubs or test their WIPs as it's going on record.

Would have loved a CD pack from Exit 10th Birthday though

The problem isn't that promoters don't think they're good advertisement, it's simply a copyright issue. A promoter or label cannot sell CD packs from their events because they do not own all of the music that was played that night, and getting permission to release it and make money from it all is pretty much impossible. If a night was to be recorded, put on CD and sold, then that would ultimately effect the music the DJs were playing - as they know they can't play the freshest dubs or test their WIPs as it's going on record.

Your right about the copyright issue forget all about that when I posted. That's also one of the reasons certain dj's wont go on the packs if they have a commercially available mix like nightlife out they don't want similar cd pack mixes floating about.

Back
Top Bottom