Drum Machine for dnb production advice

GlynW

Hi I use cubase and tend to just drop and drag samples to build my drum beats and slicing beats however I think hardware would help me get more into making drums as I tend to be pretty weak at making them. Had a quick search on the forums and couldn't really find a similar thread - anyways any advice on what drum machine I should buy?

Thanks in advance xx

There are lots of options for hardware, something like NI Machine offers a drum machine and much more, but requires a PC connected, then there are MPC range, samplers with drum pads and more again, stand alone units which can be used with DAWs, personally I'd suggest using a VST drum machine with a MIDI controller that has drum pads, before shelling out for a hardware drum machine, you may not actually like using a drum machine for writing music once u start using it

I enjoy Maschine, and the new 2.0 interface looks like it will deliver on all the things users have been requesting. To add, the pads are butter and the knobs are on point. You can easily navigate everything without having to touch the mouse.

Cheers,
Craig

I work with hardware. For DnB I use a rack sampler. Mine's an E-MU ESI 2000. For bass and drums it's great.

What ever you get be sure it can load samples or record them. However, producers back in the day would use a rack sampler and a midi sequencer (usually Cubase). So other than loading the samples in the sampler, chopping breaks, etc, working with a hardware sampler is not much different than a software sampler when you create your drums using midi.

If you are looking for a cheap but still good controller, I suggest Akai LPD8. I am getting one this week. Will maybe post a review on the thing soon.

Back
Top Bottom