Drum loops or samples?

Sky Line

I was wondering what was the most common way of creating beats in DnB, do people use drum loops and then chop them up? or is it common to use single hits and put them together?

As well as this, what’s the best place to get single hit samples with DnB in mind? I know about the freesound project but the samples are a bit hit and miss.

I was wondering what was the most common way of creating beats in DnB, do people use drum loops and then chop them up? or is it common to use single hits and put them together?

As well as this, what’s the best place to get single hit samples with DnB in mind? I know about the freesound project but the samples are a bit hit and miss.

I do with loop + hits + sampleing some more.
One trick to keep you track floating choose one Crash cymbal and put it in bar 1/16 steps
so its like full fo cymbals only .
then sidechain with your kick with some attack and quite maximum realise.
make some eq and turn the volume down alot so you dont basicly hear it but it fills your song quite well.

Idk why i sayd that ,but i had that feeling that i had to .

never once used a loop, i just make a beat using single hits layering up 2-3 of each hit. Look for sample packs mate, i got a few of the vengeance ones which i'm sure many people will recommend.

Not one loop for me, just find free samples. (a websight was giving away free packs during a remix competition and i snagged five packs) Don't be afraid to ask someone directly for some of their samples if yours don't sound good. It takes excessive amounts of processing to create semi good drum hits from bad ones, and when your done you have wasted hours of time. just find what works for you can stick to it.

Yep, you're correct. Find a break. Chop it up. Layer it with some more hits. Rinse and Repeat.

If you're looking for breaks DOA or samplepacks are your best bet.
Making breaks is a personal thing. Some dislike using breaks and prefer to use single hits. I myself love using breaks reinforced with single hits. Its a personal thang.
Best bet is to experiment and see what you like. However which way you go you should end up with some phat breaks!

dauntless

i make a kick snare pattern,
add hh, shakers, rides etc..
add ghost kicks and snares
add fx
then i may add breaks if i think the beat needs it.....
but this wouldnt be a straight loop!!!
chop the break to individual hits and arrange in the pattern of your break!!

this is what i do and most people seem to like my beats

both to be honest
single hits for punch and sometimes a rearranged chopped loop to fill the beat out

I use single hits for my main drums, filled out with a couple of chopped up loops. (Taking the kick drum and snare out of the loops is advised as it can sound quite messy if you leave them in)

I normally create my drums with single layered hits. Then when I have the main drum part ready I'm going to look for some nice break (*.rex) loops and hipass and EQ the shit out of it.
Then add a cymbal which is continually running and which is sidechained with the kickdrum and snaredrum, this fills up the spaces between your hits very easily. Don't forget to take the volume of the cymbal down so it's only heard a little!

to be honest i use dr rex for my fill out breaks then basicly completly rearange the beat just to get the sounds of the drum kit

dnb/jungle was created by manipulating samples of breaks... thats the whole point! But I use both methods.. as long as the tune sounds fat it dont really matter

There is nothing, nothing, like running the original amen throught the EMU sampler with a bit of distortion. Instant jungle. That'd be a good name for a tune. I'm thinking 808 basses, a rave stab synth and the amen, 'Instant Jungle'. Dont you be stealing it now ya hear...

Back
Top Bottom