Drum compression

jakeshiftzw

Shiftz
The question is basically, how do you actually compress your drums, how and why? Just a rough example on how you can compress them, because obviously it depends on what sample you are using. Just to let you know, im using logic pro 8 so will be using any kind of compressor in that. Cheers guys!

I don't really discuss production over the internet but here is one thing.
When using heavy compression settings on certain sounds with a fast attack you may notice a loss of bass?
Well lower frequencies are longer waveforms so they take longer to develop.
Either set a longer attack or increase the low end. I generally do this to a kick but it depends on what processing I have done prior to this...

Eq the kick, removing frequencies from around 50hz and below (there is no strict rule, I always do something different, use your ears!).
Remove and muddiness from the low mids ect.....
If I feel the kick is lacking punch or 'snap' I will add some compression and tweak until It sounds right, obv its not just random movements.
I like my drums to be tight and short most of the time so I will put the attack between around 20-50ms.
Most of the time some of the bass is attenuated so I will go back to the Eq which is placed before the compressor on the signal chain and increase between 60-100HZ.

This is usually done on a buss of which I would have routed several kicks which all have been processed so that they fit together without any cancellation or any confliction of lower frequencies.

Its pretty basic but yeah mebe try and so something similar to this meighttt

usually just a little enhancing the snap on the single drums, 1.5:1 on a not so low threshold, with att. anywhere between 3 and 10 ms and release somewhat between 100 and 200. then routing that together, compressing it a little bit more with like 3:1 and then limiting it.

when you choose your samples wisely and layer them up properly thats more than enough usually.

Back
Top Bottom