Drum busses

AstarrDnB

so i have a question and it may seem a little stupid but oh well.
so i am making a track and i have just started using busses. but my question is should i group together my two kicks to a buss then my snares to a bus then send them two busses to an overall kick/snare bus or not? thanks in advance

so i have a question and it may seem a little stupid but oh well.
so i am making a track and i have just started using busses. but my question is should i group together my two kicks to a buss then my snares to a bus then send them two busses to an overall kick/snare bus or not? thanks in advance

Yeah it seems to be the done thing to have individual buses for your kick group, snares, percussion then an overall bus for all of your drums. It means opportunity to process them and make sure they all gel together.

That's how I do it. Also, if it is a track that requires or allows me to add reverb to the drums I will create a reverb send which busses back into the drum bus. this allows me to more precisely control the reverb levels on each drum.

I bus my drum kicks to their own bus, and snares go to their own bus, and tops go to their own bus, which all are routed to the master chain. Hope that helps a little bit. Try looking up new york / parallel compression for snares if you can't get them popping out enough. Remember to mix down from the top of your snare peak, should be the loudest element in the mix always.

sorry to hijack your thread but wondering what everyones thought is on bus compression to glue the track?

also anyone have any tips on gate/downwards expansion to tighten up the drums?

Last edited:
sorry to hijack your thread but wondering what everyones thought is on bus compression to glue the track?

also anyone have any tips on gate/downwards expansion to tighten up the drums?

I like to use multiband compression on the drum bus, specifically the ozone mb compressor. I only lightly have them hit the compressor and adjust the attack times differently for each band.

A friend of mine really likes to use a compressor appropriately named "The Glue".

Can't really say much about gate/downwards expansion but would be interested in what others have to say.

I like to use multiband compression on the drum bus, specifically the ozone mb compressor. I only lightly have them hit the compressor and adjust the attack times differently for each band.

A friend of mine really likes to use a compressor appropriately named "The Glue".

Can't really say much about gate/downwards expansion but would be interested in what others have to say.

Ive just watched a video on downwards expansion. Decent starting point and its done of FabFilter Pro MB. Im going to check out mb compression now.

I also respectfully disagree. Its not always necessary but i usually find there's a little shaping i'd like to do.
mcnulty.gif

When setting up drums, I always make a second channel of each sound, for extra effects - so I have a 'dry' and 'wet' channel. I mix 'em up until it sounds good. Then I send both channels to a master drum channel.
Just sounds good in my ears.

Back
Top Bottom