Drum Bus Plugins and Processing

Klinical

How much do you guys process your drums? If so what plugins do you use?
Would be good to see how other people approach it! :)

How much do you guys process your drums? If so what plugins do you use?
Would be good to see how other people approach it! :)

I use Thrillseeker LA, its awesome and free!!! there is a good youtube video to teach you how to use it, very easy and very effective ;)

It really depends, but usially FericTDS to "glue" it together. compressor for same reason, reverb for same reason...
Basicaly I have drums sounding as I want them separately and then I use drum bus to sound them more as whole...

I use compression & limiting on seperate drums, then group them and use glue compression & reeverb (just a tiny tiny bit) and sometimes a slight amount of a preset on camelphat..
This really all depends on the track tho, sometimes i even don't use compression and a huge amount of reeverb..

Multiband compression (generally pretty light), transient shaper sometimes (Flux Bittersweet), and sometimes a bit of distortion before all that. I do the drum reverb as a send and bus it back into the drum bus usually as well. Every track is a little different though.

On individual hits
Varies quite significantly from track to track, but, in no particular order,
- Usually some bits of volume shaping/gating to tighten things up on individual elements as needed
- Overdrive/distortion, usually parallel processed in if i do use it at all
- EQ/compression, as needed. Usually roll my snares off somewhere between 8khz-12khz to avoid that brutal high end hit.. this really depends on the sample chosen/sound created though, sometimes its not necessary.
- Sometimes i'll sidechain breaks so they dip when kick/snares hit to get some pumping action going on. very fast attack and release times if i do this, but slowing down release can give you cool pumping effects on occasion.

on the bus
- BusDriver compressor can help bring things to life sometimes, has a decent tube drive feature. Sometimes it downright sucks though, depends on whats going through it.
- Some very light limiting compression to address peaking so I can get some more volume out of em. Too much and it destroys the drum's tone real quick.
- Usually reverb mixed in at 5-10%, sometimes significantly more if i'm going for weird spacey drum things. Reverb always has the low end cut from it, at least below 100hz, sometimes higher.

usually i leave my main drum bus pretty clean tbh, i like to do most of my processing on a per-hit-type basis (all snares together, all kicks together, bongos, hats, cymbal hits, etc) then send them to a master drum bus afterwards

Back
Top Bottom