Drum beats(Fruity loops)

Discussion in 'Production' started by Dj Jammin, Oct 14, 2006.

1. Dj Jammin

Dj Jammin Member

Anyone got any good tips and for writing drum beats, just not sure how they should go :afro:

2. kama

kama benkama.net

Not sure what you mean but if this helps then great. (i'm never sure... reading comprehension lacking)

Two basic arrangements. just to give a guideline.

the "2step" and the other is mostly called "stick n' move" i think. Not sure about the official name but who cares.

Attached Files:

3. Dj Jammin

Dj Jammin Member

Yeah that helps alot actually just what i needed, thanks :D

Whats ghost though, i've never seen that before.

4. kama

kama benkama.net

And more...

Basically its just a low-level snare or a hihat. Those pics are only the base thing, normally people use multiple hits to get one single sound. You could have for example have 4 samples to build one kick - with one doing the bottom bass (50-90Hz), one for the low mids or high bass sound (120-200Hz, "pang" instead of "bang"), then midranged break-style sound (400-1000Hz) and a highpassed sound, a hihat or snare even. None of them sound good on their own, but combined they create a proper sound. This is called layering.

In funk breaks you can easilly hear those ghost hits. That's what makes the beat roll. To be exact, in the pictures the part named GHOST1 would be a hihat sound and GHOST2 a snarelike sound.

5. Dj Jammin

Dj Jammin Member

Thanks for the reply, it was very helpful, do you know where you can get that ghost generator thinger from? I've been trying to replicate that kind of sound through the use of effects like reveerb but i couldn't get it.