Drum Beat (DnB basics)

TheMadStuntman

TheMadStuntman
Hey people.....just started messing around with reason, but I can't make a decent DnB drumloop.......all mine just sound......well kind of flat....some just don't sound right!
any tips?
I kind of know its all about the high hats
Ta for any help!

Personally it took me a few years to be able to program good drum loops.

IMO its all about the velocity. Get some "ghost" snares in there for the real DNB sound and mess with the velocity till you get it right.

Try using Battery2 drum machine, its awesome for natural sounding drums and is infinately tweakable.

A nifty trick of mine is programming simple rhythms and beats with minimal ghost snares, dont crowd it.

Then run the main beats through a sync'd delay unit or plugin. Voila, instant beatage.

I have normally got two or three kick drum samples - the main one being the most predominant and loud ones are usually mixed dry, dont put too much delay on hats or kicks or it gets too much.

Have fun.

i try to make all sounds interesting, right now im sort of steering away from hihats that go 'tick' and so forth.

no need to steer away.... just vary your sound. i have many different hihats of varying sound but keep them all pitched within similar ranges. sometimes i have some pitched higher, some lower. all about fucking around till you've found the right sound.

you miss the point, maybe i was unclear, let me rephrase. a tick isnt necessarily an uniteresting hihat, but i steer away from using generic sounding samples as much as i can. i want charachter to my sounds.

Back to the original question, I believe a good undersdtanding and use of compression i.e. waves compressor will vastly improve the sound of your beatmaking, providing the drum samples you are using havent already been compressed.:typing:

Personally it took me a few years to be able to program good drum loops.

IMO its all about the velocity. Get some "ghost" snares in there for the real DNB sound and mess with the velocity till you get it right.

Try using Battery2 drum machine, its awesome for natural sounding drums and is infinately tweakable.

What do mean with ghost snares?

ive never tried producing whats the best software? friend uses cubase but seems rly complicated. Anyone got anything with a steady learning curve? or can give me a bit of info on software to start with?

Back
Top Bottom