Drum & Bass samples

Discussion in 'Production' started by DJVendetta, Dec 15, 2010.

1. DJVendetta

DJVendetta Member

I'm new to production and was wondering where I should go to get dnb samples, or if you can recommend any packs, as I don't know where to start. I'm using FL Studio and I've already got NI Massive, anything else I should get?

Thanks

2. ApeCat

ApeCat Human Dubplate

Search for the breaks x-change thread, download everything in there.
    Tinker around with Massive, Sytrus, filters and effects and listen to TONS of DnB ALL the time. Always.

3. mr meh

mr meh Well-Known Member

Loopmasters and Primeloops have some decent dnb/dubstep sample packs.......

4. prettyherb

prettyherb O I

Or google just a bit and search 'dnb samples' 'sample packs' :)

5. DJVendetta

DJVendetta Member

Thanks for the replies, do you have any specific sample packs that you can recommend?

6. Freek

Freek Lets get freeeeeeky

the BHK sample packs are decent. would definately reccommend them

7. RevTech

RevTech Butthole=output transduce

Go download my big zip file of tips, in there is a section on samples!

8. Ghosthack

Ghosthack Member

9. DJVendetta

DJVendetta Member

Thanks for the replies, I have started to play around with FL Studio a bit more and made the beginning of a song with only samples, I dont feel like Ive actually created it because all I've done is taken other people's sounds and arranged them. Do popular producers create their own sounds with vsts and effects? What's the 'workflow' of making a dnb track?

10. Freek

Freek Lets get freeeeeeky

Yea tbh its best to just use samples for your drums. everything else you want to create from scratch by using vst synths and then various effects. when you're first starting out its all just trial and error making simple bass noises and then adding various effects and seeing what works for you. maybe spend a good amount of time just making new bass sounds on synths like z3ta or massive and then build up a nice collection of your own presets that you can use in your tunes.

11. J-Rex

J-Rex soundcloud.com/j-rex

12. Manny

Manny Member

i know how you feel starting out if you want i can give you some nice drum samples if you want. i wouldnt mind helping someone out :D

13. DJVendetta

DJVendetta Member

That'd be great please.

14. Woodz12

Woodz12 sssounds so heavy...

If you can find the samples from the Computer Music issue that DJ fresh they are certainly worth a download imo, some really nice breaks to layer with in there.

15. tripomatic

tripomatic New Member

and don't forget Industrial Strength/BHK

16. Mason John

Mason John 21st Junta

If you're also looking for jungle samples, someone had posted a link to a massive jungle sample library a while back; I can dig it out and give it to you if interested. Some of them, especially the breaks, are used quite a bit in DnB tracks too (oh, hello there Bulldozer; how's it goin' Champion? xD).

Also, agreed w/ Freek. I'm new to this too, w/ just maybe 6 or so months under the belt. It's definitely overload to try and do EVERYTHING from scratch, and as I've come to realize now, it's not even so much about what sounds you use (even if they're all samples....tho you aught try to experiment building some of your own too, just in the spare time. You could see them useful in a future composition), but HOW you use them. The sounds are only a means to an end, 'cuz if the track is weak, no good a sound will save it :S.

Put it this way, you got a lot of older jungle and dnb tracks out there, and let's say a good # of them used non-custom samples. There's a very good reason so many of them are awesome to this day, and it ain't b/c they had the tech then to make some of the crazy sounds and clean productions we have today. Their compositions were just fuckin' perfect.

17. bhksamples

bhksamples Member

Re: Drum & Bass samples

It's just BHK Samples, Industrial strength has just distribute these packs ;) Get any of the dnb rough connection packs,
    each of these will keep you busy for a long time. Each vol. has a huge amount of diverse samples, it's all in for a proper
    start to produce any style of d'n'b.

- - - Updated - - -

Well you don't created the samples, but you created the tune, this counts ! Just use anything you can get to improve your tracks / skillz. Popular producers using samples as source for their sounds as well, not all their bass sounds
    coming straight from a synth ;). I wouldn't stress myself with learning all from scratch from the start nowadays, its all available, you just need to shine out with your arrangement skillz.