DnB Drum & Bass mix - review please?

Works

I recently decided I would record for a while, and I came up with this (link below)

I was wondering if you could take a listen, and let me know what you think. The good, the bad.

I realize there are mistakes which could have been prevented, but I'd like to get an outside opinion.

Thanks,

Works.

https://soundcloud.com/works1/dnbmix1

Tracklist

Subterra & Bazil - Cold Shoulder
Gerra & Stone - The Room
S.P.Y - Go With The Flow
Alix Perez & Jubei - Distrust
Hadouken! - Oxygen (Alix Perez Remix)
Commix - Satellite Song
S.P.Y - Moving in Circles
Commix - Belleview (d-Bridge "Belle-Reviewed" Remix)
SpectraSoul - Shackles (feat Fox)
Halogenix - Tender Chain
Gerra & Stone - Droneheads (Octane & DLR Remix)
S.P.Y & BTK - Save me
AMC - The Shadows
Basher & Xtrah - Hubble
Commix - Talk To Frank (Break Remix)
Commix - Painted Smile
Commix - Japanese Electronics
S.P.Y - Untold Future
Total Science, SPY & Lenzman - Narrow Margin
Vicious Circle & Jubei - Deliberate
Vicious Circle - Emma's Dilemma
Siren - Squadron

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Works.

Do you have a tracklist? Most people in this section of the forum will be enticed more by some sort of TL...

Welcome to the forum Works.

Do you have a tracklist? Most people in this section of the forum will be enticed more by some sort of TL...

^^^ Beat me to it man!

Tracklist

Subterra & Bazil - Cold Shoulder
Gerra & Stone - The Room
S.P.Y - Go With The Flow
Alix Perez & Jubei - Distrust
Hadouken! - Oxygen (Alix Perez Remix)
Commix - Satellite Song
S.P.Y - Moving in Circles
Commix - Belleview (d-Bridge "Belle-Reviewed" Remix)
SpectraSoul - Shackles (feat Fox)
Halogenix - Tender Chain
Gerra & Stone - Droneheads (Octane & DLR Remix)
S.P.Y & BTK - Save me
AMC - The Shadows
Basher & Xtrah - Hubble
Commix - Talk To Frank (Break Remix)
Commix - Painted Smile
Commix - Japanese Electronics
S.P.Y - Untold Future
Total Science, SPY & Lenzman - Narrow Margin
Vicious Circle & Jubei - Deliberate
Vicious Circle - Emma's Dilemma
Siren - Squadron

Welcome Works!

On first impressions, its good to include a tracklist of you mix in your members mix thread, so at a glance people can see what style / sub-genre of tunes are in your mix, to see if they would like to listen ect. Secondly, have a listen to a few members mixes on here, leave a few comments about what you liked / didn't like ect & people are more likely to return the favour & listen to yours in return. I will give yours a listen anyhow

Not heard Cold Shoulder before & it set the scene nicely, easing in well without being too hectic to begin with. The Room sat well with Cold Shoulder, but it was a beat or two out or so. The "L" in "listen to the sound of the room" vocal should bounce on the first beat of the first bar of the 32 bar loop. The mix was in time, but out of alignment, so to speak. Go With The Flow built well & was good to hear that drop on its own for full effect. Go With The Flow ran a fair while from the second drop, would have probably liked to hear Distrust come in 32 bars before as Go With The Flow was kinda winding down by that point. Oxygen rmx came in well & taking out Distrust where you did was a nice touch, letting Oxygen rmx build up a loop on its own before the drop was cool. Distrust has caught me out from the second drop on more than one occasion when a friend lets me mix out of it when we play back to back round his, as I don't usually play it & it has a little over a 64 bar central breakdown. Satellite Song comes in 3 beats or so late off the back of Oxygen rmx. Moving In Circles built well & dropped on its own, the transition between that and the last tune blended nicely. Belle Review eased well into Moving In Circle & sounded pretty nice together. Shackles was a pleasant contrast to Belle Reviewed from the second drop, chopping up the rolling dBridge rmx with some coarse stepping beats. Possibly keep it in from the drop as I it would have kept that rolling / choppy contrast going. Nice one for including Tender Chain in the mix. Bit of an abrupt cut from Shackles. I need to get round to playing this more myself, bought that ep & played the Amoss bit & the Footloose rmx the first month or so & has been sat in the stack ever since. Flavours of Droneheads rmx start to make their way into the ride before the breakdown in Tender Chain for the former tune to be eased out for the drop. Save Me took a little while to come in, would have probably brought it in 32 bars before & kept Droneheads rmx in for the mix, as it was the 3rd tune in a row of switched tunes at the drop. There is nothing wrong with that & a lot of top djs do that, just that I think there is more skill in keeping tunes in for the 'mix' at the drop. Try switching tunes occasionally to break up the structure.

The Shadows was again switched at the drop, but wicked to hear it in the mix never the less. Nice to hear Hubble in a mix again, another switch, but build well off The Shadows & kept the energy going from the tune before. Talk To Frank rmx builds in the breakdown of Hubble well for the drop. Should have really kept Hubble in for the double, as that would have been wicked. Painted Smile came in well off the back of TTF rmx, taking the driving bassline of the previous tune on a summery rolling affair. Painted Smile - Japanese Electronics was a quality mix & has to be my favourite so far, that is really saying something as I am not usually fond of them, even though they are well produced tunes. Also, not usually fond of hearing 2 tunes by the same artist/s mix together, but it sounded sweet. Untold Future shuffles into Japanese Electronics from the tail end of the breakdown well, but keeping Jap Electronics in under the surface was a nice change. Not sure on those 2 tunes side by side in the mix. Very big contrast in style in my opinion. Nice hearing Narrow Margin in the mix too. The SPY influences in that sitting well with Untold Future before. Deliberate eased into Narrow Margin well for its underlying bassline to do its thing, with pads of Narrow Margin over the top. Wicked hearing Emma's Dilemma again & letting it roll solo for the drop. Held the mix with Squadron off for a little too long in my eyes. Could have come in half way through the second part of Emma's Dilemma, but the mix still sounded alright. 3 Vicious Circle influenced tunes in a row..... remember, variety is the spice of life. Plus, ease eq levels down slowly towards the end if that is your thing. Too abruptly & the last 32 sounds tinny.

It was an alright mix for your first post in this section Works. Listen out for the bars in your head (or count them.... 4 beats in a bar, 32 bars in an AABA, or me & a friend call it a loop) + try to vary keeping mixes in at the drop of tunes & when to switch tunes at the drop, as apposed to say 6 switched tunes in a row. It may sound I'm being over critical with my feedback, but thats standard. Take on board what people mention & try to apply it to your next mixes. Most people on here provide constructive criticism & want you to progress your skills at the end of the day.

Also, to stream your soundcloud player in your thread, copy the link from the soundcloud page that the mix is on, past it in the box where you write the words in your thread, highlight the link, then above the box where you write the words there are 3 lines of icons, on the third line on the far right there is an orange soundcloud icon, click this. It wraps the word 'soundcloud' in brackets round your link (puts it at the start & end) and it means you can have the soundcloud player in your thread, as per the footer under my posts. Hope this helps man

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for your very in depth review, all criticism has been noted and I shall work on what you've told me. I really appreciate your response and the time it must have taken to write it, there were a few things I thought "damn" as I was mixing, for example the abrupt end to Shackles as Tender Chain dropped.

I'll work on your feedback and hopefully come back with a new mix, improved based on your criticism.

Thanks again TheWatcha,

Works.

Back
Top Bottom