Drum & Bass/Jungle - difference.

duttymonster

deep in the jungle
I was reading an article on another drum and bass website about the difference between 'drum and bass' and 'jungle'.

it concentrated on the focus of ragga samples (which formed 'jungle' and which 'drum and bass' moved away from)

but for me that is too narrow a perspective.

IMO the core difference between the two is that D&B is primarily based on drum hits sequenced with a drum machine and that JUNGLE is all about the breaks - it's not the only difference, but i believe it remains the core difference irrelevant of the musical content.

what are your thoughts?

The word Jungle for me conjures images of fast loops with very little bass, as thats most of the jungle ive been exposed to.
But fuck it, its all good.

No difference.

The term Drum and Bass has been around since 1994.

dbs1-front.jpg

For me Jungle just has some nostalgic nineties feeling too it which very few modern Drum and Bass tracks have today.

in terms of sound I wouldn't say they are the same thing. Jungle obviously uses a lot more gritty rough sounding breaks (Most commonly the amen Break experimented and chopped up with) accompanied by solid sub low bass riffs. Ide just leave it at that to be honest. Im not a fan of the "Ragga samples = Jungle" thing because a lot of Jungle can be quite celestial. (using psychedelic noises and lush scifi'ish sounding chords)

so yeah all in all. Jungle is another (and perhaps more popular name) for older "Oldskool" Drum and Bass

Back
Top Bottom