Best MC: Dynamite MC
Best Vocalist: Riya
Best Newcomer DJ: Maduk
Best Newcomer Producer: Cartoon
Best Newcomer MC: Coppa
Best Club Night: Hospitality
Best Label: Hospital
Best Track: Noisia & The Upbeats – Dead Limit
Best Remix: The Prodigy – Nasty (Spor Remix)
Best Album: Mefjus – Emulation
Best Video: Netsky – Rio
Best Festival: Let It Roll
Best Live Act: Noisia
Hall Of Fame: Diane Charlemagne
Hall Of Fame: Mampi Swift

I do love it when the winners are announced every year. Is Coppa the new Friction in that he gets best newcomer award despite discogs showing that he has been around since 2007. If I was Coppa I would be pretty offended at still being considered a newcomer.

No surprise that Mefjus won best album. He could release an album of whale song and still walk away with that award such is the apparent fascination with him

Also, have I missed something but who is this best newcomer producer Cartoon?

The best part of this is the fact that noisia won best live act, before stating that they've never done a live set in their lives.

Meanwhile in a parallel universe goldie and the heritage Orchestra performing timeless won the award for best dj.

Best Newcomer Producer: Cartoon
Best Newcomer MC: Coppa
chief-wiggum-photo_210x210.jpg

Cartoon is one of those Monstercat artists whose music is used on shit like minecraft videos I'm pretty sure.

Edit: not Monstercat but might as well be. The music isn't unlistenable or anything but Dawn Wall exists, so the result is strange

It's crazy how there can be elements of dnb that are so separate from the underground sound we love that people on the dnbforum of all places don't know shit about it.

I've never heard of Cartoon and I have no idea how Maduk won best newcomer DJ, but evidently there is a section of dnb fans that voted a shit tonne for them. I've never even heard a single track by either of them and I would call myself dnb obsessed.

I'm not talking about Netsky, Fresh, Sigma and so on — that stuff gets significant discussion on here and we all know about it but don't particularly like it. I'm talking about this Liquidity or whatever it is and other labels(?) like Monstercat. It seems to be famous on Youtube and nowhere else! I don't really understand it and I wonder if people like Maduk and Cartoon think they're big in the dnb scene.

And while I'm at it, how did Rudimental get big for making dnb? They've never been part of the dnb scene as far as I can tell so how did they even get discovered?

It's crazy how there can be elements of dnb that are so separate from the underground sound we love that people on the dnbforum of all places don't know shit about it.

I've never heard of Cartoon and I have no idea how Maduk won best newcomer DJ, but evidently there is a section of dnb fans that voted a shit tonne for them. I've never even heard a single track by either of them and I would call myself dnb obsessed.

I'm not talking about Netsky, Fresh, Sigma and so on — that stuff gets significant discussion on here and we all know about it but don't particularly like it. I'm talking about this Liquidity or whatever it is and other labels(?) like Monstercat. It seems to be famous on Youtube and nowhere else! I don't really understand it and I wonder if people like Maduk and Cartoon think they're big in the dnb scene.

And while I'm at it, how did Rudimental get big for making dnb? They've never been part of the dnb scene as far as I can tell so how did they even get discovered?

Talking to my mates who don't listen to D&B, the only stuff they know about is the liquidicity styled stuff which sounds like Danny Byrd circa 2010. Its very popular amongst listeners with a casual interest in D&B

how did Rudimental get big for making dnb? They've never been part of the dnb scene as far as I can tell so how did they even get discovered?
Had catchy vocal tracks that succeeded among a wide audience. Remixing Ed Sheeran a few years ago may have also helped. It sort of feels like British record labels have some kind of artist development circle where a producer features an up and coming vocalist on their radio track before the featured artist goes on to release their own singles and a successful album. Examples are:
Rudimental - Feel the Love [feat. John Newman], Rudimental - Waiting All Night [feat. Ella Eyre], DJ Fresh - Hot Right Now [feat. Rita Ora], Sub Focus - Closer [feat. MNEK].
I actually think Rudimental are pretty good at what they do

Maduk has been around for a fair amount of time already, just this year he has signed to Hospital, but already had plenty of his tunes on various compilations or Viper VIP single etc. He's also working with Nymfo from time to time. Cartoon is another story though...

Yeah, the disparity is really interesting. I remember going to a Viper night at marble factory in which Viper had put on a mix competition, with the winner getting to play a set at the night. The winner was Droptek, who has youtube uploads with about four times more views than the most popular viper channel upload. He was the only artist my mate (who doesn't know much about dnb) knew on the line-up.

It'd be interesting to see what would happen if promoters started to book these kind of artists at more dnb events. It'd probably be a bit like pendulum, with loads of people without much knowledge of the scene coming out of the woodwork. I reckon it could be good for bringing new people into the scene tbh and it'd be pretty funny to see feint going b2b with Lenzman or Muzzy doing a warm up set for Ed Rush.

It's also worth pointing out that liquicity does promote music from artists that are well-respected on this forum, like Hybrid minds, LSB, Dawn Wall, Technimatic and Seba. I think the channel just has a bit of a bad rep because of the cheesy stuff they upload.

I thought Cartoon was some new artist having one liquicity release or so. Their production is good ... but how can this award not go to Dawn Wall?

Most of my pick didn't even made it through the first row of votes anyway..
At least we're not debating on the hall of fame, so the situation could be worst I guess.

Here's an idea, a dnb forum awards, where an artist/label/whatever gets immidiately disqualified for asking fans to vote over social media?

Back
Top Bottom