Drum and Bass Sub-Genres

Rubs90

KeyControl
VIP Junglist
I'm pretty recent to the drum and bass scene, and I haven't really familiarized myself with most of the Drum and Bass sub-genres. I know Jump Up and Liquid, but the rest is still a big unknown to me...

Can someone enlightem me? Maybe post some youtube links of song examples, a nice description etc?

Also, related to Jump Up, how can some songs from Original Sin, Taxman or Hazard be considered in the same sub-genre as some songs from Pleasure, Zen etc? Their completely different, although I do love both :)

Not to be rude man, just I'm quite sick of the whole dividing of DNB, really getting on my nerves. Plus there's hundreds of threads like this. Not aimed directly at you, apologies if it came across like that. :)

couldnt agree more. people like to look cool by inventing a new sub genre im sure. sooooo fuckin many, not just in DnB but all dance genres. its pathetic

Haha. Thats fucking ridiculous. Thats like saying all electronic music should be lumped together, obviously sub genres have similarities, but house and trance would probably sound pretty similar to dnb to a non listener anyway.

Should we ban calling stools stools because you can sit on them like a chair? No fucking way, its just another type.

People who back up everyone on the forum saying "i hate sub genres" are dnb snobs if you ask me. Its not like they appeared from no-where, someone IN THE SCENE has gonna labeled them at some point, and it just saves you going: "Oh yeah i like dnb, but slightly slower than usual with big bass lines, or the smooth soft dnb with a bit of vocals"

EDIT: And im not just looking for a fight here, it doesnt matter whether you like all types of dnb or not, whats the problem with having a name for something?

Haha. Thats fucking ridiculous. Thats like saying all electronic music should be lumped together, obviously sub genres have similarities, but house and trance would probably sound pretty similar to dnb to a non listener anyway.

Should we ban calling stools stools because you can sit on them like a chair? No fucking way, its just another type.

People who back up everyone on the forum saying "i hate sub genres" are dnb snobs if you ask me. Its not like they appeared from no-where, someone IN THE SCENE has gonna labeled them at some point, and it just saves you going: "Oh yeah i like dnb, but slightly slower than usual with big bass lines, or the smooth soft dnb with a bit of vocals"

EDIT: And im not just looking for a fight here, it doesnt matter whether you like all types of dnb or not, whats the problem with having a name for something?

QFT! I like to use my own terminology sometimes such as 'chilled out, deep or heavy', I know id be pissed off if someone told me to download this 'Drum n Bass' mix' and it was full of poppy pendulum type tunes, or something really techy if I wernt into it as an example.

Its still drum n bass at the end of the day when lets say 'liquid' or 'jump up' is put next to it.

QFT! I like to use my own terminology sometimes such as 'chilled out, deep or heavy', I know id be pissed off if someone told me to download this 'Drum n Bass' mix' and it was full of poppy pendulum type tunes, or something really techy if I wernt into it as an example.

Its still drum n bass at the end of the day when lets say 'liquid' or 'jump up' is put next to it.

yeh i think its not about "not" putting dnb into different subgenres because they dont exist, more that everyone has their own version of each sub genre...it usually ends up in a lot of arguing.

I'm pretty recent to the drum and bass scene, and I haven't really familiarized myself with most of the Drum and Bass sub-genres. I know Jump Up and Liquid, but the rest is still a big unknown to me...

Can someone enlightem me? Maybe post some youtube links of song examples, a nice description etc?

Also, related to Jump Up, how can some songs from Original Sin, Taxman or Hazard be considered in the same sub-genre as some songs from Pleasure, Zen etc? Their completely different, although I do love both :)
so as if i have not found any good answer for you question i will try to explain it to you
there are some genres like liquid, jungle and reagga where the beats are not as heavy like in neurofunk, neurohop, dark dnb or some stuff like that. One of the most 'hated' is jump up because most of the oldscohool dnb lovers say its total crap and not really dnb. thats because its sometimes hard to hear the typical dnb sounds in those tracks, strange noises are pretty popular in this genre.But every dnb genre has similarities to the first tracks or the first genre of dnb so dont let yourself change into a dnb lover who hates for example neurofunk and says its bullshit, because it isnt! it is dnb as well.
With this sentence i am ending my explanation
Happy raving my friend
may your nights be endless and sweaty from dancing

Back
Top Bottom