Drum and Bass producer producing Folk?!?!

BIG CHUNE

NICE ONE BRUVVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Nah, I love folk, but I'm no good at recording so can't critique that but it all sounds well balanced to me. Maybe a little more subbass

Hmmm, have you tried a bit more compression on the snare, and I can't even hear the kick... Maybe some amens would liven up the drum part.

Talented artists for sure,

peace,
J.P.

Sounds great, vocals could be bigger, boost levels widen maybe and eq cut on the guitar to give more space for the vocals.

BIG CHUNE

NICE ONE BRUVVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Nah, I love folk, but I'm no good at recording so can't critique that but it all sounds well balanced to me. Maybe a little more subbass

Hmmm, have you tried a bit more compression on the snare, and I can't even hear the kick... Maybe some amens would liven up the drum part.

Talented artists for sure,

peace,
J.P.

Hahaha Chuurr!

Sounds great, vocals could be bigger, boost levels widen maybe and eq cut on the guitar to give more space for the vocals.

Yea the guitar does interfere with the vocals abit aye, I tryed to get the vocals bigger but adding reverb seemed to just push them away, at the moment its got about 200ms of predelay on the vocal reverb to stop the vocal being too pushed back.

Cheers for the feed back guys!

Very nice! I think that the mix is very pro :) but i do agree with nusphere in that I think the vocals could be a wee bit pronounced. Overall though, AWESOME track, I really like it :D

One way to make the vocals bigger is to have the same vocal on 3 tracks 1 panned 100% left 1 100% right & 1 in the middle left and right can have more reverb/delay the middle quite dry. Also you could use a side chained compressor on the guitar triggered by the vocal, needs to be subtle though.

The guitar sounds a fraction loud rather than the vocal quiet. Having the guitar so wide you can probably drop it a bit.

Try parallel processing on the vocals, main dry channel with just compression, send to another channel with (stereo)delay/reverb, send them both to a bus and adjust levels.

All the parts sounds good, just that the guitar and vocal sound like they're back to front in the mix.

One way to make the vocals bigger is to have the same vocal on 3 tracks 1 panned 100% left 1 100% right & 1 in the middle left and right can have more reverb/delay the middle quite dry. Also you could use a side chained compressor on the guitar triggered by the vocal, needs to be subtle though.

Yea I have been toying with some ducking compression on the guitar,

Panning them left and right with more reverb/delays wont really do anything different from sending the main vocal to a reverb through an aux send cause a reverbs return is stereo anyways. All it will really do is make the over level louder due to constructive phase interference and since you are using an aux send the orignal signal is dry all ready and you can control the amount of wet though the volume of the send or the level of the return to the stereo mix.

I think this technique you speak of is kind of redundant, its just a longer way of setting up a standard Aux return, the problem is with this technique is that when you spend the time to set it up and finally listen back the vocal sounds bigger, but its only due to volume.

A way to adjust your technique to work much better and actually be worth the hassle would be using a light slow chorus effect on the left and right signals and then delay the entire track by a few ms, say 20ms for the left and then 25ms* for the right. this will actually make the vocal sound bigger and wider instead of just louder. Be wary though as when you delay the left and right signals by different amounts you also affect the stereo field and the vocal will sit slightly closer to the side of the shortest delay time (look up Hass Effect).

Chuck a bit of short reverb with a short predelay on and you have a winner! :P

Funny thing is this is not the technique I used for this mix haha I used the old 80's style trick of a big reverb with a massive predelay haha, like 200ms.

Hope this helps and thanks for your help!

*(30ms is the ears threshold for hearing seperate sounds so be careful going over this cause then it will start to sound like seperate delays)

This song Is amazing and her voice is brilliant. What's the chances of getting the accapella?

+1 for the acapella!

I like it, great sounds and great vocals. The mastering on the vocal could have a little work but overall really good! I wish I was able to make this.. :D

Hey all

Ive been producing dnb for quite some time now and recently got the opportunity to record a folk track with a pretty lass with a beautiful voice, so Im not sharing a drum and bass song but I still feels like this belongs here as I am a dnb producer trying my hand at pop music production.

Check it out and leave feed back if you like! :D

CHEERS!

pics or she didnt happen ;)

girls who can sing like that give me a boner... only neg crit i can think of is the vox are a bit low in the mix?

Back
Top Bottom