Drum and Bass Issue.

EvolutionNine

EvolutionNine
74168_504044172979664_123073879_n.jpg

So here is my question. I got a good sounding drum beat going. Everything is good. Levels, no clipping, nothing. Now don't worry to much about the stupid EQ2. Look at the span. Where the hell do I have room to put anything else. For whom all have helped me in the past and have listened to my past work. I am still having issues in placement. :/

Thanks..

Jace

Why depend on a spectrum analyzer? If it sounds good, it may be good. Right? Just use your ears and use the spectrum analyzer to find any resonating peaks you might want to cut down. Listen to your track with the screen turned off and note down everything you can think of that needs improvement, maybe even try sitting in a different place in the room to see how it sounds there. Maybe you find out that you might add something to the mid area, or you might find out about missing low frequencies. In the end the key is to be able to listen and judge your own music to find out what needs improvement, a simple look at a spectrum analyzer can't tell you that.

If you can mix your tune with other tunes of a similar style, wrong stuff can pop out straight away.. Also from looking at your analyiser i'd say you have WAYY too much high end going on there, ive always been told that you need to have a least some sort of downwards slope from the sub. it may not sound bad to you now as is but turn it up fucking loud and your ears will bleed from all the 10-20khz

Its best to use analysers as a secondary to your ears. If its sounds better than what the analyser is showing then just ignore it.

I've attached a copy of what I've done if it helps you?

Above is the drums with the tune below is the drums on their own....

dzxroz.jpg

P.s I was going to say you had a large amount of highs too, but I think Voxengo is just spasticated!
The highs in my tune are prominent just not as much as its saying!

EDIT: I had to be sure. I never use the Span I'm always using the Paz analyser...here's why.... (Same tune...on the drop)

28sr8te.jpg

Last edited:
Its best to use analysers as a secondary to your ears.

P.s I was going to say you had a large amount of highs too, but I think Voxengo is just spasticated!
The highs in my tune are prominent just not as much as its saying!

Haha I'd love to compare Voxengo against Logics standard plug.

Ah funny you did that comparison, was guna suggest it lol! that Span thing is clearly shite then!

It's odd though, if you look at the numbers SPAN has the high end peaking at -28sh and PAZ shows it at -22ish with the lows much louder. So it's not that PAZ is saying the highs are loud, just that the lows are louder? Are you sure those images are from the same time point?

I use span a lot and it tends to look like yours, so I tend to try to aim my midrange at 200-3k with eq and sidechaining for the drum frequencies.

wow! span is shit then!! well generally u wanna have a shape similar to pink noise on your master spectral analyser just like on the Dexcell Paz. op your track defo has way too much highs.

Back
Top Bottom