Drum and Bass is Hip-Hop

dnb aint hip hop... yes there are certain elements that are similar in the culture but dnb came from jungle, which came form acid house in the late 80's/early 90's so :p

fair enough, after further consideration (and a sober mind) i think that this was a little off; and really doesn't matter anyway; either way dnb's that shit; carry on

OH MAE DAIEZZ DIS IZ LIEK BARE TRU INIT

CONKLOOSIVE EVIDANCE RYTE HERE

Last edited by a moderator:
it all came from the 1200.

so fuck what you know.

without that turntable dance and dj culture woudn't have evolved over the last 30 years.
:rave:

---------- Post added at 23:20 ---------- Previous post was at 23:09 ----------

oh hey!

you're on new rave order too.

1. Tagging
2. Break Dancing
3. DJing
4. MCing

Thats what drew me into d&b, very similar to hip-hop without idiots like Soulja Boy. B-Boys, tagging crews, DJs & MCs sharing stardom equally.

dnb aint hip hop... yes there are certain elements that are similar in the culture but dnb came from jungle, which came form acid house in the late 80's/early 90's so :p

There are some minor musical similarities, the use of the amen break in early hip-hop for example..

Last edited by a moderator:
i think "SAMPLING" is a big thing in drum and bass and hiphop, that is definatly something else thats majorly important to both... i think thats something that gives it that real funky flavour

dnb scene in us must be a fair bit different than in th uk theres not so much tagging and breakdancing in uk

NoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNo.

No.

OH MAMA MIA, MAMA MIA

Band_queen2.jpg

Its all in the eye of beholder innit, if d&b means that to you, then fairplay.

Ain't about making a sweeping statement like that about it, cus' it ain't hip-hop culture for me & never was & i've been into early hardcore/jungle from when I was 12, now i'm 30 in a weeks time... Not saying that makes me more or less qualified to comment, but i've seen the scene/culture change & evolve over the years.

Statements like that are just gonna get peoples backs up, or write off your opinion, i've typed out about 3 or 4 replies to this thread cus' it actually pissed me off at 1st, referencing periods/tunes/evidence of adoption of different elements of cultures etc.

But I think my opening sentence sums it up nicely.

Its all in the eye of beholder innit, if d&b means that to you, then fairplay.

Ain't about making a sweeping statement like that about it, cus' it ain't hip-hop culture for me & never was & i've been into early hardcore/jungle from when I was 12, now i'm 30 in a weeks time... Not saying that makes me more or less qualified to comment, but i've seen the scene/culture change & evolve over the years.

Statements like that are just gonna get peoples backs up, or write off your opinion, i've typed out about 3 or 4 replies to this thread cus' it actually pissed me off at 1st, referencing periods/tunes/evidence of adoption of different elements of cultures etc.

But I think my opening sentence sums it up nicely.

You hit the nail on the head Moskit, pretty much what I was gonna say. Also been into the scene since house/hardcore days and can't really say I've ever thought Jungle/DnB is Hip Hop culture.

i think what a lot of people need to realize is the difference for us in the states and how DNB reached our shores around the same time it did for you, but in different waves. Sure we had the transformation from acid house/hardcore happen here too. It all boils down too when you met your first experience with DNB, i can comment because i know SMD is from the east coast where i came up and it most definitely is hip hop influenced. You still got kids with that back pack boom bap type flavor. Its something that was present in the rave scene on the east coast since the beginning and has not left. I guess what im trying to get at is i can relate to what he is coming from being from the east coast and being in this place when dnb made its switch from hardcore, to jungle, to dnb. I lived it... i was here, and can say he has a valid point. we had dnb in the side rooms at events, and the people it drawed in were the back pack wearing kids tagging up the walls breakdancing. thats just how it was here...

think some of theses replies were not taken into effect the location of the OP, and when he was fist introduced to the genre..

another stimulating thread from SMD!

im in agreeance. a lot of people seem to have missed the fact that hip-hop is NOT THE MUSIC, it is the culture, and under these terms DnB represents a lot of the same elements.

DNB reached our shores around the same time it did for you..

is this true? i have no idea, i just assumed it came to the US a lot later? i mean not even until it became DnB? enlighten me...

^^ yea basically. I mean the sub forum "stuck in 1992" is moded by 2 dudes from the states. and there is a interesting post about Timestretch. who basically got me into Jungle back then. well, too name only one name

---------- Post added at 13:54 ---------- Previous post was at 13:46 ----------

^^ yea basically. I mean the sub forum "stuck in 1992" is moded by 2 dudes from the states. and there is a interesting post about Timestretch. who basically got me into Jungle back then. well, too name only one name

---------- Post added at 13:54 ---------- Previous post was at 13:54 ----------

---------- Post added at 13:54 ---------- Previous post was at 13:46 ----------

I guess I wasn't the only one having problems connecting to the forum eh? You must have broken it Fes.

Back
Top Bottom