[Drum and Bass] Blasek ft. Tracey K. - Cure and Cause

Very solid production quality on this. Great atmosphere and I love the chilled / floaty feel of the track.

The acapella seems quite melodically complex. I feel like the track goes in and out of sounding like it is functioning strongly as a whole vs it being a drum n bass track with an acapalla layered on it. However, I've listened to the track 4 times now and everytime I like it more and more, I think because there is less "surprise" about some of the elements of the vocal.

Just curious. Did you do the piano work yourself, or was that part of the vocal sample?

One thing that has bugged me a bit with some of your tracks is the hard-cut sounding synths. Like you use a long sustaining synth/pad, but there is no attack time, you just hit straight into the note and kill it as the next note comes in. It just feels really raw when the rest of the track is really soft / reverby / floating. I think a softer attack and some sustain tails plus some light processing would help the notes flow into each other a bit better.

Nice chilled out vibe here, I'm feeling it. Love the vocal.

A couple critiques - the vocal is pretty on point in terms of tempo, however it seems to be slightly "off" in a couple of areas (ex. around 1:30). If you're using Logic, you can easily correct this with Flex time.

There also seems to be a sound in there that is a bit off key and is conflicting with the vocals. Some pitch correction can solve that problem.

The snare is overpowering the vocals (and the track) a bit, maybe consider either adding a compressor to the vocals or apply some narrow notch cuts around 1kHz and 2kHz of the snare to let the vocal come through a bit more.

Finally, one thing that is often overlooked in production is tuning your drums, especially the snare. If your DAW has a tuner, add one to your snare channel strip and use a pitch tool to match the key of the snare to the vocal - it will work miracles.

Overall, however, I like the direction and "feel" of the track. Some polishing could really step it up.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Re-uploaded! There is no critical changes, just a few little things example at piano.

Just curious. Did you do the piano work yourself, or was that part of the vocal sample?

Yes.. I did it myself. (n) I have'nt play any instruments during my life.. Why? :D

Last edited:
Thanks for really positive feedback! I have got much criticism about drums and I'm practising for getting better results. That comment felt good! :) And without criticism it's really hard to develope your own music so all kind of feedback are welcome!

Last edited:
Ok mate this is really great work seriously you really bring up that dark atmosphere,i have nothing to say about technical side because it is flawless..Keep up the good work;)

Cheers! Appreciate! :) Now is good to continue learning and move on.. im addicted to drum and bass music.. suprise!

---------- Post added 04-12-2011 at 00:25 ---------- Previous post was 03-12-2011 at 23:29 ----------

Hey dnb world,

I have read and studied a lot about how to make movement bassline. This is far away my chill vibes production: http://soundcloud.com/jonesasd/bassline_test

What do you think about bassline? DJ's have dropped that kind of basslines before? :twisted:

e. I have'nt automated this clip at all! Only modulations etc. Any plug-in's recommend? There is only one line and maybe I can layer few bass sounds more?

Last edited:
Hey man, love the dark take on this vocal. The house tune is one of my wife's favourites so I'm well familiar with that. Need a few listens to 'adjust' lol.

Really cool stuff.

I really like that crunchy snare, I think the vocal could do with being low cut slightly, as some of the lower frequencies in it are interfering with your drum work, which is a shame because those drums are really nice, albeit simple. Bass is a really nice subtle roller, which IMO works really well with this track. Also I believe the vocal is a little too loud compared to the rest of the track, take it down a few db and as mentioned, low cut a bit and I reckon it would gel with the rest of the track much better.

Back
Top Bottom